Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Review Please: Motorcycle Enthusiasts' Site

Hi there!

I was wondering if you kind folks could provide me with an honest review of the following web site:

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com

I'm looking for feedback about what it looks like in your browser, what you like/don't like, etc. Don't hold anything back - I can take it!

Things I know and am working on:

The 'Scrapbook' area and ads are an old page just copied and pasted in. I am working my way to them and will do some kind of nice web photo album, like with the Hodaka Museum page.

The ordering process is being changed as well, since we've had some folks saying that they don't want to use Paypal to check out, so we're revamping to change that and allow the user to choose what type of checkout they want... but that won't be done for a couple of weeks.

Anyhow, let me know what you think!

April
    TEAMWORK is the fuel that allows common people
    to produce uncommon results.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 98 IE 5.0 1024x768

The first thing I noticed when I went to your site was the big logo to the right, I think if you clean it up a little it might look alot better.

The second thing is the menu on the right side of the front page.I would loose that top gray area that isn't really doing anything, or maybe make it the same color blue at the rest of the top, it just doesn't seem to look right. You have the blue bottom to the menu but the gray top. If you do make it the same color blue make the right edge rounded like the top left edge.

There is alot of blank space below your "The Counter" If there is no reason for this get rid of it.

Move the Counter image to the very bottom of the page, there is no reason to have it where it is.

It is redundent to have the Phone and Fax right in the middle of the page like that if it is on the top of page already.

Move the search and "Bookmark my site" below the picture section.

Move the address that is under the bike somewhere else it doesn't fit.

What I am trying to do is clean up the front page, right now it is to busy, you want to make it very clear to your visitors what you are trying to do with this site, you don't want to have people read to much because to be honest people don't want to read unless they have to..

It is a good start, it just needs a little work, Good job. Keep up the good work.

The short answer is yes... Herbster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win 95 / IE 5.5 / 1024 x 768

Because it's on my mind a lot lately, I changed my browser window size (but not my resolution) and your page layout holds together and looks great! I truely envy people how have a handle on that!

I like your use of color. The page has a very nice balance.

Something funky is going on with the rollovers in the right menu, so I'm going to guess you are working on them now. The text for some options jumps when I mouse over, "Articles, Ads & Fun" actually changes the text to "Ads, Articles & Fun".

Nit-picky stuff...
    In your main table heading where it says "Competitive Prices - Friendly, Knowledgeable Service!" The round corner on the right has a black line at the bottom.
    The Hodaka Story image is tilted and I can't read the text.
    "Or acces our site search page to search through the entire Strictly Hodaka site." - access is misspelled.
    Rollovers in the news section. The text is darker and harder to read when I put my mouse over the links. I would expect it to become brighter and easier to read.

I didn't dig beyond the first page.
    Very nice design! I really like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ur site..

looks cpool and preoffesional with a clean layout.

good text colors and rollovers.

but here's some critique..

put the logos of credit cards and paypal at bottom. they dont look good with ur logo and centerize ur pno and stuff.

your navgation looks good, but i think u should give them the rollover effect cause then they 'd look good.

finally, get some white or greyish background for background of the news section..

Rest is CoOl.

ruchir

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly I think that you can design this page better:
    1. It's too long (about 2 screens)
    2. Space usage is not very rational: some blank space and unimortant information (like payment system logos) take place that should be used for more important: link to products, that now at the bottom.
    3. Contact page is accessable only from bottom menu and could be missed by some visitors
    4. When you put smt to shopping cart and them proceed with Continue shopping you return not to the page from where you add item but to category list.
    5. For joining mailing list better to develop nice graphic box that your current solution that uses to much improtant space.

My config:
    Win98, IE 5.5., 1024x768, TrueColor
    Premier quality web sites and RIA creation:
    International site and Australian division
    LookBook Extension for Magento (free version available)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WIN 95 IE5.5 & NETSCAPE 6.2, DSL 800X600

The site looks neat and good in IE 5.5, However using

You could consider using a smaller and more clearer logo, then having it on the left side , so it loads up first, before the rest of the page.

Your pages are also very long, especially the marketplace page, you could also have a "back to top" link at the bottom.

Have the search box standard on all pages, the location seems to vary on some pages.

I noted the following flaws in Netscape6.2

The links on the right side are not as compact as there appears to be some space between the rows.

At the bottom of the pages, the image you have used (br.gif) for the rounded corner effect are not in place.

The Hodaka profile page also appears to be misaligned.
    The space below "other links" is black in Netscape, and white in IE 5.5 hence making the page look misaligned.
    Lisilokuwapo moyoni,halipo machoni-->Out of sight out of mind

Take a musical Safari

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

ok your site looks real nice, but as someone else mentioned make your images just a tad bit smaller and also put the logos of credit cards and paypal at bottom. the site loaded real quick.
    i love php

SitePoint Enthusiast GuitarMaster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I selected your page to review because

I'm a motorcycle enthusiast. Even so,I'm not familiar with Hodaka.

Sadly, instead of learning about the brand the focus seems to be on your sausage business. I had some really good Italian sausages for dinner tonight but I'm not interested in reading about them on a motorcycle site. It makes me feel you are less than fully dedicated to the motorcycles.

I could certainly understand you putting a link to your other business and if this is just a vanity site for your friends to enjoy you can put whatever you want. No offense meant, but I thought this site was about motorcycles.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it looks good, but the design/layout seems outdated. Maybe something that is more modern looking. Something that comes out and grabs you.
    You might want to fix up the emblem (top right) it's a little jagged and you can see the square background from the graphic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don´t know!!

on visual communication matters it is a bit disordered.

Do you know that the menus at left side of the screen is a studied fact? The reason is that when looking at a monitor peoples eyes tend to look at center first where you can put something important like you did, but then the eyes tend to look at left to find the navigation system. The opposite happens when looking at a newspaper, the eyes tend to look at the right page because it is the one that discovers first when folding the papers.

I recommend to put the menu at left as usual.

Now, in color matters i don't recommend coloring backgrounds in black, because black backgrounds were used first by hackers, warez, pages that tend to illegal stuff, or redical designs related to xtreme sports or stuff like that. I know we are talking about motorcycles, but it is different when you are selling bikes and spare parts, the point is to get people money, and illegal look is a thing i do not think you want people to percive.

The logo..... well, someone said it before, clean it up, and if you dont know how to, find someone who knows about adobe illustrator to recompose the design and give you a vector based graphic wich you can resize to mage a larger, shorter or mid size image. Make it byte the info zone or create a composition that envolves itself on the page look, cause it seems deadly unlinked to the rest of the page lyout. The font should be more agressive for the product you are showing off. Think on the Harley Davidson Logo and you´ll find out what i am talking about. Maybe a 3d look would help.

Dont make a confusion between featured products and newsletter registration, even if it´s boring for some, order is the best way to comunicate something visually, create cells, different backgrouds for that kind of things and things ordered upside down should work.

Just look at the order of this page and learn about it.

To sell products you must be trustable, and image helps lots on it.

where would you buy something if you have got theese two choices:

http://www.hondamotorcycle.com/index.html

or

http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/

qualification = 2.3/5

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Win Xp I.E. 6.0 1024 X 768

I like your site.

My critics are similar to the ones above. I noticed your "Article, Ads & Fun" changes to "Ads, Articles & Fun". You may want to correct this.

I believe that your credit cards at the top should be at the bottom. This may not be true. Test both places and see which leads to more sales. When you test, only change one thing at a time and then test; If there are any changes is sales, then you’ll know what caused it.

Personally, I would make it more of a priority to communicate what benefits your site provides. The first thing you promote is that you’re doing changes to the site. I would make it more prominent that you sell bikes, parts, and provide up to date news about Hodaka bikes. These are your main features and I would make them more prominent on your home page.

I would make your phone and fax number more conspicuous at the top and then erase them from the middle of the page.

Other than that, your site conveys a warm feeling which I like. I get the feeling that Strictly Hodaka Motorcycles is owned by an honest friendly family.

Sheriff

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile nice but

I just saw your website, because many things to read on this great forum, no time :P
    I found ur webs ite nice of looking but if you can make the page a bit less scrolling will be better, beacause people does not like to use scrolling bar so much
    second thing if u can put images .GIf will be very more nice than different font.

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dumb in web desi
    I just saw your website, because many things to read on this great forum, no time :P
    I found ur webs ite nice of looking but if you can make the page a bit less scrolling will be better, beacause people does not like to use scrolling bar so much
    second thing if u can put images .GIf will be very more nice than different font.
    ?

You do realize that you're responding to a thread that's over 2 years old?
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site logo and navigation are invisible when pictures are turned off. Where are your alt tags? And why are you using graphics instead of text? See http://www.hypergurl.com/css.html for some good stylesheet text hints.

Pictures on - stylesheets and fonts still off:
    The site doesn't seem well balanced. Your header doesn't stretch the width of the page (at 1024x768 anyway) so the right side is jagged.

OK, everything on:

Site looks good.

Have fun!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

large page

The home page is good and has some excellent content but it did take a while to load and I am on adsl, so some one on dial up will really struggle!

The page seems a bit cluttered with firstly a two cell table then a single cell below, perhaps some images could be compressed to ensure faster loading for people on dial up?

Page length concerned me as I had to hit the page down key 5 times to reach the bottom of the page.

Overall I liked the page as it was full of interesting things.

Keep up the good work!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overalll is ok but whole put some new web2.0 features ( design terms )
    anyway keep it simple.