SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question '../' <-- this in internal links?

I used to write my internal HTML links like <a href="dir1/dir2/image.jpg"> and it works.

In CSS, I see it done like url(../dir1/dir2/image.jpg) and it works.

So I had no questions about it.

Recently I am doing some .htaccess URL rewriting stuff and I bumped into problems. With some rewrite rules, stylesheets and images do not get loaded from the index.php unless I prefix their locations with ../
    This in turn breaks their paths with different rewrite rules.

So in general and out of my specific context, what does ../ mean for the URL? And how does that affecting when developing locally and for the server?

Thanks

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ../ means "the parent directory".

Let's say I have a directory called "css" where I store CSS files, and "img" where I store image files. They are in the root directory and that's where my HTML files are. Suppose I want to use a background image in the CSS:
    Code css:
    .foo {
      background-image:url('../img/bar.gif');
    }
    "Go to the parent directory, then to the img directory, and locate bar.gif".

You have to be very confident about what your current working directory is to use ../ properly.

Another is ./, which means "this directory". And simply "/" means "the root directory".

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Raffles has given a nice summary. All I would add it that I prefer to reference all links in relation to the root folder (Raffles' last example) as the reference is always the same no matter what page you are on. E.g.

Code:
    .foo {
      background-image:url(/img/bar.gif);
    }
    Quote Originally Posted by EvanGR View Post
    And how does that affecting when developing locally and for the server?
    The only downside with this method is that it only works on the server, not on your desktop--unless you are running your own server environment or using something like WAMP or MAMP.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Design Your Site Team bronze trophy Erik J's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m;
    The only downside with this method is that it only works on the server, not on your desktop--unless you are running your own server environment or using something like WAMP or MAMP.
    In case you lack a server but want to use absolute paths; on a Windows system you can put the site in any drive's root directory, e.g. C:\ or an USB stick root directory e.g. E:\

That makes one USB stick for each site you are working on. Works on any PC-system for demo too if you don't have opportunity to burn a cd.
    Happy ADD/ADHD with Asperger's

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik J View Post
    In case you lack a server but want to use absolute paths; on a Windows system you can put the site in any drive's root directory
    D'oh! I never thought of that. Good suggestion. I'm on a Mac, but I just tried putting some files in Macintosh HD (the root folder) and it worked there too--although it's a bit messy. Perhaps the disc could be partitioned. Anyway, the USB stick is a good idea too. They cost virtually nothing these days.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also the BASE element that can come in handy, especially when URIs are being rewritten and/or the relative paths starting with "/" would be really long.