User Tag List

Thread: Good DSL Router

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good DSL Router

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but its the closest I could find..

I am looking to get DSL and would like recommendations for a good Router. I don't want NAT or PAT (I could do that with a 2k server box), but an actual router. The reason being is that I would like to host internet sites (Multiple, probably) over DSL, and I've had problems hosting games through NAT (Don't wanna stop playing games). I've found a DSL company in my area that allows for hosting, and allows for purchasing static IPs. All I need is a good router that would let me have multiple static IPs behind it. I've also seen some that have a DSL modem with it, but most of them have PAT or NAT. I don't know what kind of prices I would be looking at, but any suggestions are welcome.
    Thanks in advance

Geoff
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have a BEFSR41 Broadband Router from Linksys and it works great for me. It cost me about $60 bucks here in the U.S. at Bestbuy. It is a 4 port Switching Router with 1 uplink WAN port. It includes DHCP and supports 253 devices which makes it perfect for the home or small office environment.

Not sure if it would fit your needs but it works for us just fine, including games.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Linksys

I know that that uses a NAT table to provide for multiple computers. Don't you have to open up incomming ports for all those online games to work?? I was under that kind of impression. Maybe I'm wrong..

GE
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally use the US Robotics 8000 router, and works fine for me. No confusing firewall interface, no confusing doodads, just plug, config, and connect.
    The InspirAzNz...NetWorK [Down]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I haven't opened any incoming ports through the router.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same model as Wayne. Works fine and was easy to setup. I got it pretty cheap on Amazon.com

Though if I was getting one now I might get a wireless one, they've come down in price and if you've got a big house or a laptop it may be worth it.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    I personally have a BEFSR41 Broadband Router from Linksys and it works great for me. It cost me about $60 bucks here in the U.S. at Bestbuy. It is a 4 port Switching Router with 1 uplink WAN port. It includes DHCP and supports 253 devices which makes it perfect for the home or small office environment.
    I have the same thing and trust me, it works fine...never had any problems with it. Very easily configurable [if you know a bit about routers etc].

I'd suggest you go for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also *tried* the same router as Wayne, aspen, others, but had no success (you can find some threads I had on it). I think Netgear makes the best products and if I were to go down that road again, Netgear would be my choice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    I also *tried* the same router as Wayne, aspen, others, but had no success (you can find some threads I had on it). I think Netgear makes the best products and if I were to go down that road again, Netgear would be my choice.
    Were your problems related to the router or the wireless access point you were trying to install? My router doesn't do wireless, I have to purchase extra hardware for that.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke

Were your problems related to the router or the wireless access point you were trying to install? My router doesn't do wireless, I have to purchase extra hardware for that.
    I think it was my access point which was the culprit, however, my opinion on Linksys is soured over all of it. Their tech support wasn't able to help much, either.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tubrocomm EA series..

www.turbocomm.com.tw