SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wordpress 2.84 Installation issues

I have built a wordpress site using a local host and am trying to migrate it into my server to test it on other browsers & platforms.

When I try to install the database I exported from phpmyadmin it keeps failing and when I try to do a clean install of 2.84 it just gives me databse errors and wont install.

Can anyone give me any advice on this? I've never had problems like this before!!

Cheers

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What DB errors are you getting when you try these things?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a possible solution if your local isntall is not too complex (loads of plugins and options!!)

- Do WordPress export (Tools > Export > WordPress) out of your local system
    - Install fresh copy of WordPress to web server
    - Upload theme to web server
    - Upload plugins to web server
    - Configure as required on web server
    - Import WordPress export file on web server (Tools > Import > WordPress) previously created from local system

The only potential issue you may have is with uploads on your local WordPress install. If it was on a live server, you would be able to import all of the attachments into your web server install of WordPress on import of the file (which is VERY cool!), but as it's on a local system this may not be possible for you.

Hope that helps you out - it seems simple because it is! You don't really have to go to the lengths of a MySQL export under alot of circumstances - and if you do you are going to have to do a-lot of work (not just change the couple of URL references - you are going to have to change LOADS of paths and detail) in the MySQL export from your local system before it's going to be usable on the live web server.
    Last edited by jonnya; Oct 19, 2009 at 12:05. Reason: clarification
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even installing a fresh, new, blank copy of Wordpress threw up these errors.

Somehow by using Sequel Pro instead of mySQL I've managed to get the test installation working ok.

Very, very strange though. I think I'll contact the host if it happens again.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humph - that sounds like you have server issues if you couldn't do a fresh install of WordPress... but glad it worked out for you!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips