SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

form action="" inside iframe calling outside url problem in IE?

Good morning,

form action="" inside iframe calling outside url problem in IE? I imagine it's a security issue. So I have a login form, inside an iframe src'ed to an outside url, and the forms action is linked to/calling the outside URL. This works fine everywhere but in IE. Instead of logging in, IE redirects to the actual login form - the one I've iframed. Anyone know of a workaround for this?

Thought I'd ask. If no, I have a few other options up my sleave. But, this is my preferred method, so I thought I'd give it an honest effort. Thanks!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can make it so the form inside the iframe is calling a subdomain off the my main domain. Would that possibly make IE happy? Is a subdomain considered part of the main domain? If so, then there should not be any security problems in IE right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post isn't very clear, but IE does have a problem with iframes and forms. If using php you have to use $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] or it gets it wrong. I know I came across the technical explanation somewhere, but it's something about how different systems recognise 'where' they are in the file tree. If you are using a different language, then adapt accordingly.

I'm not at all sure I've answered your question, but I feel your pain!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it was a little confusing for me to even pose the question. Thanks for your thoughts. Although, I think I'm just going to make it easy on myself and put the form inline and open a new window on login. It's for a demo, so that actually might be a little more user friendly anyways. Off the tackle my next problem... "inline form validation and confirmation within a fancybox (lightbox) popup". Ever tackled that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, not in a lightbox. Someone in another thread was asking about that. Hope it goes well!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Eric, there was a nice link provided in the web design forum today to this:
    http://www.ericmmartin.com/projects/simplemodal-demos/
    The second example shows a nice jQuery form popup. Might be worth checking out.

Otherwise, it is easy to have a popup box with a form in it, using a very simple JS script that degrades gracefully. (I've just learned how to do it this week, via Jeremy Keith's excellent DOM Scripting book.
    Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Web Design Tips | Free Contact Form

Forum Usage: Tips on posting code samples, images and more

Forrest Gump: "IE is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you're gonna get."

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ralph, I also came across that site when looking. I'm using fancybox for some other popups in the site, so I want to keep the same look and feel with this contact popup. So I have to try and get this working inside fancybox. I've got like 100 different sites bookmarked on the subject. Now comes the un-fun time, I have to sit down and read them. I should be able to get it done, just thought I'd ask, maybe someone had the copy and paste. That's always easier.