SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Email programs and UTF-8 encoding

I got a quick question about plain text encoding (text/plain in headers) for email apps regarding the UTF-8 standard. In the past, I have always used ISO-8859-1 but recently somebody told me that I should use UTF-8 for emailing out of the USA and to further push a more compatiable format instead of ISO or US-ASCII.

Seeing this, I took at look at a few apps and I see that Outlook 2000/2002, Outlook Express 5/6 and Netscape 6/Mozilla all support UTF-8 in their email apps. I did not however check Eudora, Opera, and AOL for compatiablity.

Does anyone have a list of known email apps that still don't support UTF-8 and if you know or have a link to a site that has a list... that would be kosher

Thanks for your time
    Last edited by TegSkywalker; Jun 17, 2002 at 01:34.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Email programs and UTF-8 encoding

Originally posted by TegSkywalker

Does anyone have a list of known email apps that still don't support UTF-8 and if you know or have a link to a site that has a list... that would be kosher

Thanks for your time
    Well,

i didnīt actually find a list of email-progs which donīt support utf-8. I know that OE and Outlook support it.

For additional infos it might be useful to check Unicode...they should have a list of progs supporting it...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht