SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning Your Blog Into A Lulu Book

I have seen a few examples in which people are converting their blog into a Lulu book and selling it via Lulu for a small fee, around $2.50, has anyone considered it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't see the point. I'd just hit your blog if I had an option like that. Only way I'd buy a book with a bunch of blog posts if I wanted them in all place and the info was REALLY useful.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it depends on the blog.

If you were keeping a blog about your kids growing up or something, it'd make a really sweet keepsake for family and friends.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know, I could see a use for blog posts on a technical subject if someone compiled them into a book of useful tutorials or discussions. For example: Smashing Magazine is a blog but they have a book in the pipeline based on the works of authors who have written for them (and I have it on pre-order because I really enjoy their website as it's very useful). Another example would be A List Apart... granted that's not a blog but I think if they published a book out of their articles half the web design community would be furiously hitting the pre-order button on Amazon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to see this to understand it fully, honestly.

But to echo some of the comments here, I wouldn't see the usefulness in doing this with just any blog. It has to be a useful set of posts to warrant me buying it for $2.50. Especially when I can see it for free, as a blog.

The "keepsakes" idea (or approach), or using it to promote something nichelike, such as this, to your club, family, or a specific group, I can possibly see. But again, I'd have to see it to understand it, in this case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a random bit of trivia: SitePoint's first ever book, Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL, by Kevin Yank, started out as a bunch of tutorials that Kevin wrote on sitepoint.com, and the first print run was at a print-on-demand service just like lulu.com.

So there is certainly potential if the content is high quality and the market is there. Just because the information is available for free on the web does not mean that people will not be prepared to pay for it!
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume the point is to make money -- and for that to happen, you would need to sell a decent number of copies.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people at 37Signals have taken a their blog and turned it into a book. The book is called Getting Real.

I think what they did is consolidate their most useful post and then offered those posts for free online, as a .pdf for a fee and as a paperback book for a fee.

They claimed to have sold 30,000 .pdfs.

Maybe you could use that as an example.

Google Getting Real or 37Signals for more info (Sorry I am too new of a member to post links)

Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention that they publish the paperback via LuLu like you were thinking of doing.

Also that they sell the .pdf for $20 each. So ...

30,000 copies * $20 = $600,000

Not bad...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny I was thinking about this today. It was just a thought as I don't have enough posts to do this with. However, I have some really useful information that I plan to make available via my blog on a regular basis and wondered if I could compile that information at a later date and put it in a book.
    Nakisha Muhammad
    RightNow Web Design
    Affordable Web Design Solutions
    Free Website Evaluation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought seriously about compiling my blog posts into a book. My content is inspirational and I think would be a good devotional-type book.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about it. I couldn't publish the posts as they are, but once I have enough material, I could combine posts into chapters. My tags and categories would provide clues on how to organize the material.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not give out money for Blog-Book. But idea is nice :P
    what do u see outside the Window?
    Car hire Spain / Airport Car hire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since blogs are eating into print media sales it seems like a natural progression.

Mark Twain knew the value of publishing instalments of his books in newspapers, then selling the completed book.

Stephen King has tried it on the web. Another example is 70's rock star Dan Peek (founding member of the group America - Horse With No Name etc). He posted weekly instalments of his book An American Band - The America Story on his website. The book is now in print and has been very successful.
    WebPie - Oxford and Beyond

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dint here this before. I think you are using this thread to marketing purpose.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your blog is of good quality and with good topic, it can progress your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Converting a blog into an ebook is a great idea. One can go thru the post "Convert Blog Posts Or Feed Into An eBook On Single Click" on Internet Techies to see the converted copy of a blog in demo.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well why not, it's a great idea actually. Of course, in your book you will add something which you have not featured entirely in your blog.

Anyway this is not new, Darren Rowse book Problogger, based on Problogger.net, is selling well in Amazon.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should think that turning a blog with good content that is in demand into an ebook would be a great idea. People looking for a certain type of content will buy the ebook before they go searching for a blog on the same subject because they want it "right now". If there is a demand, you can sell almost anything. Just take a look at what eBay sells.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a great idea but make sure it has other original contents aside from the blog posts that are easily accessible on the internet for free. I think no one would spend money for information that can be found on the internet for free.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading a quote from Robert Heinlein, quite a successful author, similar to the Mark Twain reference above - he commented that he found that the best way to monetise his books was to break a book into a several part serial for the magazines, and then publish the book as a while.
    This doesn't sound dissimilar to the blog-as-book concept.
    Of course, you would pick and choose the entries, re-order them and perhaps rewrite most of them - it wouldn't be just a simple throw-it-together thing. IMHO.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what the book has to offer. If it's something useful, I think a lot of people would still fork out money to pay even though they can find it free with the same info posted on blog.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't pay for it. Although I still like to buy books over reading the material online and in alot of cases, even to this day the book still can hold more specific information that you need that can last a long time. Rather then hunting down how to do a-z by spending all your time or days Google-ing \ You-Tube-ing which works in some cases, but not for most.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will become more useful and real helpfull content i guess, lot os people will consider to read all the blog , to read it, bookmark it, and come back again later on

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,

Many people have indeed recommended putting blog posts into an ebook to sell, and yes the advantage is that you have it in one place.

I have been thinking of doing that but have not got around to do so yet, but I would make some changes.

I have been taking a course by Grant Griffith on making your blog better, and one of the things he suggests is having a theme page. I would take that idea and group the posts into themes. There are a few core topics that I blog about so the theme idea would certainly work for me. For an ebook, I would also update some of the posts since I now have additional information.

Having said that I see you point. And, a price of $2.50 would make it attractive