SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In-House Stat Tracking

I'm curious how difficult it would be to develop my own traffic analysis software. I'm not happy with the prices or quality of most products you can buy.

Are there resources that explain how to capture some of the more important information such as 'referrer', 'search engine used', 'search phrase used', etc.?

I'm very interested in hearing from someone who has already built their own in-house web stat tracking.

The languages that I could potential use are JSP, Servlets, JavaScript, or PHP. Any suggestions on which is more likely to have the needed elements with the shortest development cycle?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no need to re-invent the wheel. With all due respect, I personally wouldn't spend the time and resources on such a cumbersome project. Have you tried PowerPhlogger (http://www.phpee.com) or AWStats (http://awstats.sourceforge.net)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend ADVLogger, however it is for CGI.

Have you tried looking through HotScripts, and CGI Resources?

You could also try using a service such as HitBox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best PHP script I found for server-side tracking is called "Les Visiteurs" which is available at http://www.phpinfo.net. Not fantastic though, if you want really good statistics, you better have a look at some of these server log analyzers.
    Sebastien Rosset
    :: Commercial: BlackSonic | ScriptsCenter
    :: Non-Profit: VJCentral | ReclaimYourSoul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by mjames
    There's no need to re-invent the wheel. With all due respect, I personally wouldn't spend the time and resources on such a cumbersome project.
    One good reason that I'm interested in doing it myself is that I plan on packaging it with the current application that we are developing. The two combined offers a much more attractive package than seperately, and I think anyone who purchases the initial application will then want to purchase the tracking software. If I can provide both to them, then everyone is happier.

So, I'm still eager to find resource on who to capture the important data I listed previously.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get Browser/OS look at HTTP_USER_AGENT to get IP look at REMOTE_ADDR to get referrer look at HTTP_REFERER Current domain is HTTP_HOST then depending on your server you can use PATH_INFO, SCRIPT_NAME, or REQUEST_URI to check the filename of the page being requested. So to get the full url its HTTP_HOST.REQUEST_URI

All other statistics are found by analyzing the data recorded.
    Chris Beasley - I publish content and ecommerce sites.
    Featured Article: Free Comprehensive SEO Guide
    My Guide to Building a Successful Website
    My Blog|My Webmaster Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Aspen,

Curious, is the search phrase used to locate your site also available in the data you list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the search term is in the the referral URL. Such as, if the script sees they're coming from Google, they could pick the unnecessary sections of the URL to get the search term:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&q=website&btnG=Google+Search

At least, this how I think they get the search term. I could be wrong.