SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Contract need to be notarized?

If you are a freelance web developer, is there a need that your contract will be notarized?

Any advise on making a good contract? or atleast the necessary parts of a good contracts.

Thanks in ADVANCE!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is always a good practice to make a contract no matter what. In the free lance type of work, you can easily get burned by anyone. a contract is just a piece of paper, so everyone knows where to stand. Trust me! I have been burned before just because I did not have a contract. It is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by eneza View Post
    If you are a freelance web developer, is there a need that your contract will be notarized?

Any advise on making a good contract? or atleast the necessary parts of a good contracts.

Thanks in ADVANCE!
    Last edited by Dan Grossman; Oct 15, 2009 at 00:29. Reason: Spam removed

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH I forgot to add that you can find different type of business contract online. The law differ from one state to another

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

how about contracts for deals between international people. Example: a website buying from sitepoint .What the buyer should do, what contract let`s assume he is from UK and the seller is in US ?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A notary provides an expert witness who will verify the identify of the signer and witness them signing the contract. If you are signing a contract with someone who is physically far away and you want some assurance that you know who that person is and that they actually did the sign the contract, you can get it notarized.

If you are signing a simple agreement in person with someone, a notary is usually not needed unless there is a special situation. If you have a special situation, I'd consult with an attorney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I totally agree with you. Thanks for the reply.
    So for my case I only need something that will limit my clients from asking too much from the scope that I gave them I will not be needing an attorney?

Thanks for Enlightening!

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eneza View Post
    I totally agree with you. Thanks for the reply.
    So for my case I only need something that will limit my clients from asking too much from the scope that I gave them I will not be needing an attorney?

Thanks for Enlightening!
    Well, I never said that

A good agreement contains the scope of the project, but why wouldn't you want your client to increase the scope? You just need to be clear about how scope changes are handled, billed, estimated, etc. Also have language about the schedule, and how it can be changed. Deliverable, conflicts, communications, payments, milestones, all sorts of things should be included.

I hear people trying to 'prevent scope creep' all the time, but scope creep is a BIG money maker as long as your agreement with your client makes it clear that you will be paid for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    Well, I never said that

A good agreement contains the scope of the project, but why wouldn't you want your client to increase the scope? You just need to be clear about how scope changes are handled, billed, estimated, etc. Also have language about the schedule, and how it can be changed. Deliverable, conflicts, communications, payments, milestones, all sorts of things should be included.

I hear people trying to 'prevent scope creep' all the time, but scope creep is a BIG money maker as long as your agreement with your client makes it clear that you will be paid for it.
    Thanks You Sir, I just saw here in sitepoint. http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2009/...isive-clients/ though its a very good point in terms of revenue, I will take a look at it?