SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toner refill a scam?

Like many people who use laser printers, I am looking for a solution to print at a lower cost. New toner cartridges from the manufacturer typically cost at a price near that of the printer. But there are alternatives. First there are the cheaper remanufactured toner cartridges. And even cheaper, there are the toner replacement kits.

How good are these alternatives? Is a remanufactured cartridge worth getting? How exactly does a remanufactured cartridge differ from a regular one bought from the original company?

What about toner refill? Is it really as simple as pouring in more toner, or do I have to worry about cleaning the waste compartment? What about physical wear to the toner cartridge?

What is the cheapest black & white printing solution? What about color printing solution?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I tried a refill cartidge once. It cost 1/2 what a new one cost and lasted 1/3 the time a new one would have. I don't think I was printing any differently during that period than before or after so the shorter time wasn't due to printing a lot more.

Generally the more you pay for the printer at the start the cheaper the ongoing printing costs are.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some laser printers have drums which are integrated into the cartridge, the rest have the drum separate from the cartridge which has to be replaced separately after however many thousand pages printed.

With the cartridges that have the integrated drum, once the drum is expired I'm guessing that the whole cartridge would then only be fit for recycling.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by py343 View Post
    How good are these alternatives? Is a remanufactured cartridge worth getting? How exactly does a remanufactured cartridge differ from a regular one bought from the original company?
    Remanufactured catridges are pretty good actually, generally the only difference is the outer casing is recycled and the "chips" which printers use to identify the correct ink cartridge are generically labelled to keep costs down for manufacturing for different models. I can recommend this option

Quote Originally Posted by py343 View Post
    What about toner refill? Is it really as simple as pouring in more toner, or do I have to worry about cleaning the waste compartment? What about physical wear to the toner cartridge?
    Toner refills are dangerous, I have heard so many stories about peoples printers being permanantly damaged as a result of "bad toner" clogging up the entire system making it impossible to print, theres various types of manual toner refilling techniques but none of them are worth the cost of losing your printer entirely.