SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    9 times out of 10 in training those guys would've scored the penalties, but imagine the pressure. 45k people in the stadium, several million watching on TV around the world, pretty much an entire nations hopes and dreams of success, not wanting to let down the rest of your teammates etc etc.
    I should imagine brain surgeons are under equal if not greater pressure, for less money. Are they excused if they miss? These guys are paid to play in front of large crowds..

I was responsible for our team losing a cup final once, cos I missed. I still blame my manager for it though, he said aim for the post, so I hit it. Twice.
    - you did your bit then
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should imagine brain surgeons are under equal if not greater pressure, for less money. Are they excused if they miss? These guys are paid to play in front of large crowds..
    Valid point

you did your bit then
    yep, I'm deadly accurate

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    1) I don't think Ireland played all that well, I felt Spain were just about the better team, and for missing 4 penalties, they didn't deserve to win. That is my analysis of the game, deal with it. It clearly doesn't mean that much to you, so I don't see what the problem is. Damien Duff though, played is ars3 off and for his performance it is a shame to lose.
    2) I don't claim to know much about football, but I watched it and I have an opinion. Don't belittle me because I have a differing opinion to yours and because you're pissed because you got knocked out of the World Cup, and that someone different is prepared to say maybe Ireland didn't play all that great.
    3) I do NOT hold a grudge against the Irish. I have been backing you the whole way and would have really wanted to see you go through. What I find quite ironic is that I know a LOT of people who were supporting the Irish, who really wanted them to go through, including me, but I'll be buggered if I can find any Irish people who are willing us on, or will now support us and hope we get on in the World Cup now. Prove me wrong, please, but IMHO it is you guys who hold the grudge.
    4) No idea who Eamon Dunphy is.
    1). Thats cool. I was just pointing out that my opinion of the team's performance was mirrored by most independant people who watched the game.
    2). I accept that you have a differing opinion to both mine and sbdi's.
    3). The reason that Irish people don't support the English team goes back to our country's history and England's involvement in it. I'm not going to go into it as it's such a huge issue, that no amount of conversation here would even begin to explore the issues properly. Aside from that, the last friendly match we played with England in Dublin had to be stopped cos we scored and the hooligans (which are in the minority) started to rip up the stadium.
    4). He's a TV pundit over here. He's very controversial and has made many comments over the Roy Keane affair. He got suspended from RTE (our national broadcaster) for turning up tired and hungover for the World Cup panel for one of the japanese games.
    Anthony - How's tings?

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
    Contact me by: PM Email NEW! Carrier Pigeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey no hard feelings but maybe in future a modicum of rationale and respect would be preferred rather than unnecessary petulence.

RE: support/lack thereof -- hey of course I can see why and TBH I'm not surprised but I find it sad, that's all. It's similar to a team such as Man Utd playing in Europe and any Liverpool supporter wanting the other team to win. I'm not much of a football pundit, but I do appreciate good football, so if Man Utd are in Europe then I'll support them, same with any other UK team. Same for Ireland, Scotland or Wales had any of them got in/were still in the World Cup, I would support them, regardless of bitter disputes because I would rather see a home team do well.
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    Matt's debating is not a crime
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf Clicky