0 Thread(s)

Ireland out of the World Cup ;_;

I had a San Miguel and a Guinness, had to drink the San Miguel

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    without doubt it was a nailbiter and it was painful to watch Ireland miss 3 penalties... cruel it is but Spain had the luck, though not the capability to show that they deserved to progress to the quarters...

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption
    without doubt it was a nailbiter and it was painful to watch Ireland miss 3 penalties... cruel it is but Spain had the luck, though not the capability to show that they deserved to progress to the quarters...
    What you said, except they missed 4 penalties in all

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooh yes forgot about the one in the 1st 90 mins...

so sorry for the Irish (being a neutral since i have the benefit of my country not being a participant, the Irish were one of my favorites )

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup that was an absolute nailbiter, most enjoyable.

I just hope the press lay off the players who missed penalties, it's hard enough without the pressure of the media behind you.

(sorry but I also tipped spain in the forums when the w/c started.)
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by rabmurdy

(sorry but I also tipped spain in the forums when the w/c started.)
    Well on that performance they will be lucky to get through to the last 8!

Alt+F4= User Control ;-) rabmurdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree Glen, that was one of the most gutless teams I have ever seen playing. Camacho made a big mistake taking off his 'star men' before the game was won.

The irish deserved a lot more than they got, but if you can't put the ball in the net.....
    "If something is too hard,give it up. The moral my boy is too never try anything"
    "Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That game just goes to show that England has to avoid any penalty shoot outs.

Qamar

Gone!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But hey, its the World Cup, and most games so far has proved, it has that magical something meaning no game is entirely predictable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ireland really didn't deserve to win. No excuses for missing 4 penalties and their play in the 1st 90 wasn't really last 8 standard. They did look good in ET time though but still.... sorry tho' to the Irish -- I was backing them all the way cos I'd much prefer them to go through than the Spaniards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt
    Ireland really didn't deserve to win.
    And they didn't .

I thought they played quite well with the exception of their finish. Not enough shots on goal. Seems to be the common theme for those teams who go home...

-t
    myOstrich Internet
    OpenSRS Domain Registration, Digital Certificates
    Website Design, Hosted Email and now Blogware!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ireland really didn't deserve to win. No excuses for missing 4 penalties and their play in the 1st 90 wasn't really last 8 standard. They did look good in ET time though but still.... sorry tho' to the Irish -- I was backing them all the way cos I'd much prefer them to go through than the Spaniards.
    Love to know what match you were watching. The first half was somewhat even but after that Spain had nothing.
    Back Again

Shiver me timbers!! anthony_irl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we're out of the World Cup.

To say that we put up one of the most spirited performances of this World Cup would be an understatement. Apart from the first 15 minutes we played our hearts out and didn't deserve to lose in that fashion. Harte missed the penalty but we can't turn back time, he was our designated penalty taker although I do now think that Robbie Keane will take up that role. They're due back tomorrow evening and I'll be out to cheer them at the welcome home party in the Phoenix Park. They did us proud and lost out by a whisker. European Championships 2004 here we come.

Anthony - How's tings?

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
    Contact me by: PM Email NEW! Carrier Pigeon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a great shame, the Irish showed ten times as much heart as the Spaniards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by sbdi

Love to know what match you were watching. The first half was somewhat even but after that Spain had nothing.
    I'm sorry but there were times in the match where Spain simply outplayed the Irish. Their passing game was awesome and I can remember more than one occasion when Duff (who IMO was man-of-the-match), particularly in the second half, made streaking runs up the right hand side with absolutely no support or any kind of commitment from the Irish attackers. I really didn't see much heart from the Irish, except in Extra Time when the Spaniards couldn't get near them. It is a horrible way to go out though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by weirdbeardmt

I'm sorry but there were times in the match where Spain simply outplayed the Irish. Their passing game was awesome and I can remember more than one occasion when Duff (who IMO was man-of-the-match), particularly in the second half, made streaking runs up the right hand side with absolutely no support or any kind of commitment from the Irish attackers. I really didn't see much heart from the Irish, except in Extra Time when the Spaniards couldn't get near them. It is a horrible way to go out though.
    What game were you watching exactly? Take a look at Football365.com's analysis. Any independent observer would come to the conclusion that Spain were on the ropes for the whole of the second half.
    Anthony - How's tings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by anthony_irl

What game were you watching exactly? Take a look at Football365.com's analysis. Any independent observer would come to the conclusion that Spain were on the ropes for the whole of the second half.
    Nah I'm good thanks. That is MY analysis of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it is your opinion and you're entitled to it. The fact remains that most independant viewers saw it differently. Even a Spanish fan in Barcelona said "I feel guilty. The Irish played better but I am Spanish so I am also happy".
    Anthony - How's tings?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were a few sporadic free flowing passing moves from the Spanish. I can certainly remember one in the first half that cut Ireland apart like a hot knife through butter. That said, Ireland deserved the win in my opinion, but if you miss 4 penalties, can you expect to win a game??

It could've been worse mind you. Martin Palermo missed 3 penalties on his own for Argentina in the Copa America last year. That's just silly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah I'm good thanks. That is MY analysis of the game.
    He is English, maybe holding some grudge or something. Like pointed out just about anyone thought the Irish should of won. So either you know nothing about football or you dislike the Irish.

I remember you had negative views of Ireland vs Cameroon as well saying Ireland were lucky to get a draw.

Actually maybe you are Eamon Dunphy
    Back Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anthony - How's tings?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    didn't Ireland have team morale problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He is English, maybe holding some grudge or something. Like pointed out just about anyone thought the Irish should of won. So either you know nothing about football or you dislike the Irish.

I remember you had negative views of Ireland vs Cameroon as well saying Ireland were lucky to get a draw.

Well you have me completely mixed up with someone else, but anyway here goes:

1) I don't think Ireland played all that well, I felt Spain were just about the better team, and for missing 4 penalties, they didn't deserve to win. That is my analysis of the game, deal with it. It clearly doesn't mean that much to you, so I don't see what the problem is. Damien Duff though, played is ars3 off and for his performance it is a shame to lose.
    2) I don't claim to know much about football, but I watched it and I have an opinion. Don't belittle me because I have a differing opinion to yours and because you're pissed because you got knocked out of the World Cup, and that someone different is prepared to say maybe Ireland didn't play all that great.
    3) I do NOT hold a grudge against the Irish. I have been backing you the whole way and would have really wanted to see you go through. What I find quite ironic is that I know a LOT of people who were supporting the Irish, who really wanted them to go through, including me, but I'll be buggered if I can find any Irish people who are willing us on, or will now support us and hope we get on in the World Cup now. Prove me wrong, please, but IMHO it is you guys who hold the grudge.
    4) No idea who Eamon Dunphy is.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What weirdy said.

sbdi, your comments are a little ott, remind me of someone calling me anti-semitic at some stage because I didn't support the invasion of Jenin...

I didn't watch the game, know little of football, but do know that the word on the "street" is that Ireland played well and were unlucky not to win. However, logic dictates that missing that number of penalties (considering wages paid and training undertaken) has little to do with luck. Englands first goal against Denmark - now THERE was luck

He is English, maybe holding some grudge or something.
    Racist comment.

So either you know nothing about football or you dislike the Irish.
    Ignorant, illogical and unsubstantiated comment. 'nuff said.
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't wanna be picky H, but no amount of training or money can prepare someone for the pressure these guys are under when it comes to penalty shootouts.

9 times out of 10 in training those guys would've scored the penalties, but imagine the pressure. 45k people in the stadium, several million watching on TV around the world, pretty much an entire nations hopes and dreams of success, not wanting to let down the rest of your teammates etc etc.

I've been involved in penalty shootouts before, just playing for my local team, and the pressure, even at the low level I play at, is great. I was responsible for our team losing a cup final once, cos I missed. I still blame my manager for it though, he said aim for the post, so I hit it. Twice.