User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also sprach Zarathustra. Amen.

And therafter, this thread had reached salvation and people moved on with their daily chores

100 posts; - You guys are funny
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, inquiring minds inquire!!

Go back to your pizza
    Saul

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    felgall - my answer to you would be no perhaps try an OCR program lol BUT for someone who knew me and my form my answer would probably be yes - it would make sense I would do it especially if that person didnt know anything about typing or whatever - id do it for nothing in return...
    So now you are saying exactly what you'd expect to get in return for doing it and then claiming that the something that you expect to get for doing it is in fact nothing. You can't have it both ways. Obviously, like everyone and everything else in this universe you only do those things for which you get the return from it that you want.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Yes, certainly. But we're not machines programmed to do it, everything we do reflects our values and we all have a drive which works constantly with no interruptions, whether we're consciously aware of it or not.

If you're trying to say that there are times when you shut down your values and drives, then I'd be afraid to be around you for who knows what you'd do that does not comply with your values.
    funny, i suppose its just hard to describe, but like i said im not claiming to be superhuman or a computer like being Im just saying u can carry out tasks on automatic, i can atleast - im sure there are others aswell but dont want to say as they too would get a roasting lol

How many other worlds do you know?
    Lots of worlds saul, lots

I gotta say I'm quite aware of what your types are thinking. I'm afraid the problem might be with me failing to explain what I'm thinking
    my type? whats that exactly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    Also sprach Zarathustra. Amen.

And therafter, this thread had reached salvation and people moved on with their daily chores

100 posts; - You guys are funny
    welcome to the party crazy

Hey, inquiring minds inquire!!

Go back to your pizza
    pizza and sweeties and cake and biscuits and....

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    So now you are saying exactly what you'd expect to get in return for doing it and then claiming that the something that you expect to get for doing it is in fact nothing. You can't have it both ways. Obviously, like everyone and everything else in this universe you only do those things for which you get the return from it that you want.
    ah here, not at all felgall - i did not mean anything about subconscious playing any part here, im afraid we'll have to disagree on this one because i do do things on automatic and without gain, like i said before its just how i am and in my nature to be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by ahsan11223 View Post
    usually the site URL on the signature........
    huh?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im sure there are others aswell but dont want to say as they too would get a roasting lol
    I just said I do. Everyone has reflexes, but some of us even understand them.

Lots of worlds saul, lots

my type? whats that exactly lol
    Saul

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Can't you believe that I have never seen this thread before? I think I'll need to read every single post... there seems to be some kind of debate going on about ... mizwizzy's types

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just said I do. Everyone has reflexes, but some of us even understand them.

my mistake saul, didnt pick that up is that understanding remark a dig at me? lol

and eh, im waiting about this type comment

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Can't you believe that I have never seen this thread before? I think I'll need to read every single post... there seems to be some kind of debate going on about ... mizwizzy's types
    I well believe it, ur a busy girl Molona

lol @ types, theres only one of me eh...i heard that

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to put you even more into shock about species on earth, but what would you say if I claimed that the way we say things to anyone is a form of manipulating the other in some shape or another?
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mistake saul, didnt pick that up is that understanding remark a dig at me? lol
    Not if you do understand.

and eh, im waiting about this type comment
    Is "" not enough?
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    Not to put you even more into shock about species on earth, but what would you say if I claimed that the way we say things to anyone is a form of manipulating the other in some shape or another?
    i'd agree

Not if you do understand.
    Cant you just give me a straight answer?!

Is "" not enough?
    eh, no, please explain

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant you just give me a straight answer?!
    And what do you think I was trying to do in all these 113 posts?
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And what do you think I was trying to do in all these 113 posts?
    hmm in a few words, provoke, nag and nag some more

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    its very audacious for you to even begin to presume what way a person thinks nevermind the way i do
    Actually I am sorry to disappoint you but it's not audacious for me to make such a claim, I am not presuming the way a person thinks, I am simply basing my explanation on cold hard science and psychology (As to what we currently know about the brain and how it functions), that and some sociology as to why we act in certain ways... Of course you may feel this isn't the case but that's all it is, it's already been proven that the brain can fool peoples senses (just look at optical illusions). The fact remains that unless you are something different to the rest of mankind, any action you undertake will be justified based on a series of variables, even when you conclude a thought and decide to do something on a rash impulse your still considering it and will therefore make a decision using limited information, it's still an informed and justified choice and therefore any positive or negative consequences of the decision will impact your emotions, there is no such thing as an emotionless response.

Jeeze, its a real sorry case of affairs when people cant believe that u can do something without gaining anything in return on any level - ok can anyone answer me this - ur sitting at a dining room table about to have a meal with lots of friends around and theres a buzz and everyones talkin and stuff 100mph and ur friend next to u asked u can u open this jar of pickles for me and u just take it whilst talkin to someone else and u open it and give it back and thats it u continue on with ur conversation, u didnt think of that jar of pickles etc u just continued on with what u were doing as if it were automatic to do...... surely this scenario can make u see that there are instances where u can be immune to feelings and emotional rewards by helping someone out?!!
    Any "automotive reflex" based on doing something on a regular or sequential basis is working off past experience in undertaking that task (along the same lines as conditioning), while you may not realise the consequences of undertaking that action the negative consequences of your not achieving that automotive reflex action could be cognitive dissonance which would result in either realised or subconscious confliction in the mindset and as a result it may lower your mood without you being aware of it. While the effects are down to conjecture the general idea is that when you achieve something, nice chemicals get released into the brain and can lift your mood, if something bad happens or you suffer dissonance then you irrespective of your mood your abstaining from the good result. As a result it's only natural to think that even if having a neutral emotion was possible, what you get from it is a lack of positive emotion which neglects you from that achievement meaning what you get out of the situation is knowledge of what it feels like to not succeed from the task. You wan't me to delve in deeper?

I agree, but sometimes I dont have a "why to" reason I just do it *sigh*
    Impulse (as mentioned above) does not affect the nature that you are going to still gain something from every experience whether you realise it or not, undertaking repetitive actions even come under this... all in all, no matter what you do (or think you do) it's impossible to do anything selfless because you gain something (no matter how small or seemingly insignificant as a result).

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great discussion.

Have you considered the benefits SitePoint reaps from your posts? The profit they make from your labor every time you write here?

• SitePoint sells direct advertising against the forums. The advertising is valued and priced based on the traffic to the section of the forum someone is interested in advertising on. It is the work of the community which creates the content that attracts this traffic, and creates the pages the advertising is sold on.

• SitePoint gains immense branding benefits from the forums. The community created content that brings you back again and again also subjects you to SitePoint's brand again and again, making you far more likely than a stranger to purchase their products and explore deeper into their site, generating more ad revenue.

• SitePoint forum posts vastly outnumber all other content pages on the domain. With hundreds of thousands of posts, the forums provide SitePoint with massive search engine exposure. Our compelling, linkable content, provided freely, is likely a significant reason SitePoint is among the top 1,000 websites in terms of traffic. The forums cover more topics, and more long tail specific cases that people might search for with little content competition in the SERPs, than SitePoint could ever hope to produce with in-house writers alone.

• SitePoint gains from our reputations and credibility, which helps them convince people to buy their books, boosts the credibility of their articles, and helps increase traffic through their site. It's the forum members, awarded by other forum members in the annual "member of the year" awards, that SitePoint asks to write their "Guru Lists". These members are often experts, with their own reputation and credibility, published books and well known businesses, whose names on the lists and in the forums lend credibility to SitePoint.

So with the enormous brand and financial benefits SitePoint gains from the posts people write on their forums, is it really "biting the hand that feeds you" to get a tiny bit of commercial benefit back? Is it really an inequity, "stealing visitors", given all the visitors you are providing to them?

From a purely economic point of view, if you're not using the opportunities the forum gives you to unobtrusively promote your sites, the benefit weighs heavily in SitePoint's favor. You're free labor for their profit.

I'm not saying anyone is being exploited, just that there are two sides to this equation. That if you're going to argue about the commercial motive of the members and benefit they might take from SitePoint, you should also consider the commercial motive of SitePoint and the benefit they might take from the members.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @alex

good lord man, take a breath

I still stand by what I originally said, sometimes there are not always textbook reasons for things we do and more over its always the simplest reasons that are the answers - I do carry out tasks that require no emotional response or actions - i do go on "automatic" at times - im not saying that i never feel any emotional response to these actions all the time, of course i do most of the time, but there are occasions where it is just simply automatic - you may think im stubborn on this issue or that im burying my head in the sand and not seeing that there are reasons for some actions we carry out - i am aware of what you are saying and i do agree with you but on some instances I disagree with the point that you're saying we all are motivated by something or have reasons behind why we do things, maybe not visable in our mindseye at first but subconsciously perhaps - i do see what you're saying but i still maintain that I still can go on automatic mode at times - we arent all the same and even with any psychology book u read or whatever they can be based on a case by case study - or even if it was on a large scale census its still based on that case group - you cant pidgeon hole everyone with the same psyche analogy

@Dan

I understand both sides of the commercial gain of course - my original question was to the reasons behind why people use the signature, on a majority view I see that many people see that their contributions towards SP with posts and helping fellow members is their basis for self promotion in signatures or perhaps linking to material that may support their contribution/reference help to members - I do see the reasoning behind this and in most cases I agree with it but there is still a part of me that maintains that I would not do it regardless of my contribution towards the forum - like i said before I am a member of another forum site and I do contribute alot towards help and tutorials but I do not seek any reward or promotion in exchange for that contribution - but again as ive said before It does come down to the individual and what the forum contribution means to them whether its personal/professional or both

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hazel, those are the two longest sentences I've seen in my life. What happened to your "." key?
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol saul - i never use the . key, ive too much to say of course

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrifying.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    this thread never cease to amuse me
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona
    there seems to be some kind of debate going on about ... mizwizzy's types
    mizwizzy isn't a type. She's a category all her own

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does that mean shaun im assuming its a compliment it would wanna be

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    mizwizzy isn't a type. She's a category all her own
    Can you imagine all the fuss that a litte "s" cand do at the end of a word?

It was PHP who started this!

Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon
    I gotta say I'm quite aware of what your types are thinking. I'm afraid the problem might be with me failing to explain what I'm thinking

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I still stand by what I originally said, sometimes there are not always textbook reasons for things we do and more over its always the simplest reasons that are the answers - I do carry out tasks that require no emotional response or actions - i do go on "automatic" at times - im not saying that i never feel any emotional response to these actions all the time, of course i do most of the time, but there are occasions where it is just simply automatic - you may think im stubborn on this issue or that im burying my head in the sand and not seeing that there are reasons for some actions we carry out - i am aware of what you are saying and i do agree with you but on some instances I disagree with the point that you're saying we all are motivated by something or have reasons behind why we do things, maybe not visable in our mindseye at first but subconsciously perhaps - i do see what you're saying but i still maintain that I still can go on automatic mode at times - we arent all the same and even with any psychology book u read or whatever they can be based on a case by case study - or even if it was on a large scale census its still based on that case group - you cant pidgeon hole everyone with the same psyche analogy
    Could you name a single instance where some behaviour you have undertaken could not be tracked or concluded based on some kind of psychological theory because if you can then you should let the medical professionals know as you seem to be claiming your beyond modern understanding of behaviour Going on automatic does not mean your doing it emotionless or through a lack of justification, it just means you aren't aware of your reasoning or influence behind it, behaving without influence or bias is pretty much impossible. You may disagree that all actions aren't motivated but that's just based on your own perspective and bias, there's no evidence to suggest (that I am aware of) that what you are claiming to-do is even scientifically possible. Don't think of it being me trying to "pigeon hole" you, it's just a case that claiming that you "think" you can do something mainstream science and psychology has no evidence to support is like claiming god exists. Unless you can back up your justification with some compelling evidence for believing that you can undertake a cognitive process with no reasoning, there's no reason to believe you can. See it from our perspective, you haven't yet given a single scenario which one of us hasn't been able to narrow down into an action which can't be explained in terms of influenced or "self-indulgent" thought, basically you've gotten something out of everything you've mentioned thus far!

PS: I didn't get all this out of a psychology book or fortune cookie, I worked hard at college, granted I'm not a shrink but I'm not just making this stuff up