User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    Just because it's highly visible is besides the point.
    Actually it is the whole point. Even if you could upload an entire html page as your profile, who cares if no-one sees it.
    Saul

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My argument is more people would see it if it actually contained useful information, just like with any website, content is king... but profiles don't get views because they have absolutely nothing of any real relevance to the average user, simple as that

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    But the point is you end up with buying a brand you knew before hand - HP and not Joe's Laptops.
    well if joe had a laptop that was good and recommended then whatever brand that is thats what i'd be going for - advertising doesnt have much impact on me regardless of special offers, brands etc, the companies are making big money on those deals anyway regardless of the buy one get one free offers or the latest summer saving deals etc..

Marketing 101.
    and...

They update software because of numerous fixes and other improvements, I don't think profiles was ever the main reason to update SPF.

A concept of profiles is popular in general, but I don't think it lives up in forums. There is some minor activity, but nothing like the main parts of the forums.
    I didnt say that the main reason for updating the forum was purely for the profile customisation feature lol please saul..

There are some forums on here that also have minor activity - doesnt mean they are nonetheless redundant, some people will use them as with profiles - are those of you who have commented on profiles saying that u dont use this feature, ur putting all ur information about u in ur signature?? gimme a break...

You want me to give you a lecture on forum marketing now or what?
    - now that would be funny......but i was being sarcastic

mizwizzy, if profiles allowed custom fields where you could place and organize whatever you want to appear on the page then maybe it would be useful... however as it currently stands you have little to no control over what information you can place on the website, like it or not we are talking technical facts here, and profile pages on these forums have a few fields you can fill in with a limited stock of information which has no real relevance to most people on a forum. An example of this is the imposed limit of a single website link (which you cannot edit the link text beyond the default "homepage" function). Signatures allow you to have a small but highly customisable space which you can link or place text of which profiles simply do not allow. It's as simple as that, you can bash advertising all you like but the fact is it's (in most cases) not blatant spam, it's a customisable space for people to give a unique piece of themselves too. Just because it's highly visible is besides the point. And unless you have a proposed solution to the technical faults in the way generic profile systems work, there's really no point you making any claim to the idea that there's a viable alternative to signatures, because as things stand... there isn't.
    ok ok ok...well alex like u said there is a field for your website to be displayed - the profile does give you the basic fields anyone needs to show people who u are and to display a bit of background information about urself - your profile is as it is - IMO ur profile is an alternative to the signature option - ive always displayed my contact information etc on my profile there was never any need to promote it as part of every post I make - the profile did that for me - its plain and simple and unobtrusive - granted that the profile page is not an entire webpage/site you can edit and mix around all you want but it pretty much does what it says on the tin - your website will do the rest for you when u display it as a link on ur profile...

Im not bashing advertising either - where did you get that idea? we all need good advertising but it has to be in an appropriate setting/medium also, and thats my opinion.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My argument is more people would see it if it actually contained useful information, just like with any website, content is king... but profiles don't get views because they have absolutely nothing of any real relevance to the average user, simple as that
    the average user doesnt know what signatures are - based on those who just register on a forum for the first time - everyone knows what a profile is as its common place on alot of sites - i do agree that profiles should have more features - if this were the case perhaps people would ditch the signature option and move to the profile arena instead to advertise themselves more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What if you have (or are actively involved in) more than one website? Then the idea of using "profiles" with a single link is entirely dysfunctional.

I would like to see you back up the statement about "the average user doesnt know what signatures are", please cite your sources and research

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if you have (or are actively involved in) more than one website? Then the idea of using "profiles" with a single link is entirely dysfunctional.

I would like to see you back up the statement about "the average user doesnt know what signatures are", please cite your sources and research
    not entirely, if you are involved with more than one website personally speaking i usually try to link to each of them and vice versa - so in the end it all works out - but i see ur point with just the one option for 1 url is not that great if want to promote all ur sites - but again where do u draw the line on self promotion u know...

as for my source/research - i run a forum on my business site and most users who register on there for the first time dont know about signatures even on other forums sites where I am a member there are always newbies asking support questions about signatures, how do i do this and that etc - u'll always have people who disgree over simple things like is it black or is it white, then u'll get others who'll say its grey - no matter what data we are produce with or "gospel" on what is what - ur own personal opinion is always going to come into play as to whether or not u agree or disagree with the data - oh and

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    well if joe had a laptop that was good and recommended then whatever brand that is thats what i'd be going for - advertising doesnt have much impact on me regardless of special offers, brands etc, the companies are making big money on those deals anyway regardless of the buy one get one free offers or the latest summer saving deals etc..
    How do you know that Joe's Laptops even exists! From advertisements for the most part, that's how. You don't rush to buy after seeing an ad, but I suppose your memory span is longer than 5 minutes too.

and...
    You asked, I answered.

I didnt say that the main reason for updating the forum was purely for the profile customisation feature lol please saul..
    I didn't say you did. But you did say...
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    but they chose to update etc..regardless of that...
    ... which is what I was responding to.

we all need good advertising but it has to be in an appropriate setting/medium also, and thats my opinion.
    And that would be where no one sees it?

Looks like the issue is deeper than your preference not to use sigs, eh Hazel?
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know that Joe's Laptops even exists! From advertisements for the most part, that's how. You don't rush to buy after seeing an ad, but I suppose your memory span is longer than 5 minutes too.
    no need to be cheeky now saul - what if i knew joe personally? or joe was a friend - it doesnt have to be through adverts that I would see the product

And that would be where no one sees it?
    so ur saying no one visits profiles now?

Looks like the issue is deeper than your preference not to use sigs, eh Hazel?
    how do u mean? my reasons are out in plain view as in my original post - im just expressing my views back on what you guys are saying to me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no need to be cheeky now saul - what if i knew joe personally? or joe was a friend - it doesnt have to be through adverts that I would see the product
    No, I'm just trying to explain. Of course there are other ways to find out about a business, but most businesses advertise and that's how you come to know them. Advertising is a major part in any business, and that's simply how it works.

so ur saying no one visits profiles now?
    OK, here are some numbers. This thread was viewed 523 times, while my profile shows the same last visitors for weeks. Need I say more?

how do u mean? my reasons are out in plain view as in my original post - im just expressing my views back on what you guys are saying to me
    In your initial post you only talked about people's personal preference to use or not to use signatures. But along the way the thread turned out to be about preference of advertising in general. Looks like you don't like it and you'd rather have it all hidden somewhere out of the sight.
    Saul

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the average user doesnt know what signatures are - based on those who just register on a forum for the first time - everyone knows what a profile is as its common place on alot of sites - i do agree that profiles should have more features - if this were the case perhaps people would ditch the signature option and move to the profile arena instead to advertise themselves more
    You have that backwards.

Everyone knows what signatures are - all forums, blogs, and other interactive sites have them, even most email programs have them so that you can add signatures to the bottom of all the emails you send.

A lot fewer people know what profiles are. I was using forums for several years before I even heard of them. I still haven't put anything much in my Sitepoint profile - after all almost no one looks at profiles at all so it isn't worth the effort.

People don't visit forums to read profiles, they visit to write and read posts. If a post has a link at the bottom to more information relevant to that post then some people will follow that link.

The more links to relevant information published elsewhere that can be found on Sitepoint, the more useful Sitepoint becomes as the portal that people can use to access all that ingo and the more repeat visitors Sitepoint will get. Information doesn't necessarily have to be published on a site for the site to benefit - a site benefits from the places it links to as well.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I'm just trying to explain. Of course there are other ways to find out about a business, but most businesses advertise and that's how you come to know them. Advertising is a major part in any business, and that's simply how it works.
    yeah i know advertising is vital - but ur question was regarding purchasing something from tv!

OK, here are some numbers. This thread was viewed 523 times, while my profile shows the same last visitors for weeks. Need I say more?
    well i probably make up 520 of them - but regarding the profile - i dont think people like being logged/captured viewing someone's profile i.e the last 10 visitors - sometimes people just like to snoop and its a bit off-putting IMO thats one of the downsides - but still if u wanna know something about someone im going to check the profile

In your initial post you only talked about people's personal preference to use or not to use signatures. But along the way the thread turned out to be about preference of advertising in general. Looks like you don't like it and you'd rather have it all hidden somewhere out of the sight.
    Ah, not at all saul - the advertising angle came from somewhere else and the topic just took a different turn - promote away i say - but im just saying personally I wouldnt do it and I wanted to find out why people did - the discussion is ongoing and takes different angles as comments are posted and i reply to certain things people say - i dont mind viewing adverts when its somewhere im going to expect to see them - infact ive been known to click a few by mistake im not a signature/advertising hater thats just petty

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    You have that backwards.

Everyone knows what signatures are - all forums, blogs, and other interactive sites have them, even most email programs have them so that you can add signatures to the bottom of all the emails you send.
    I disagree with you, speaking from people i know and new forum members I have.. they dont know what signatures are - not everyone who uses computers/forums/blogs know much about anything nevermind signatures and email..

A lot fewer people know what profiles are. I was using forums for several years before I even heard of them. I still haven't put anything much in my Sitepoint profile - after all almost no one looks at profiles at all so it isn't worth the effort.
    Again, i disagree - the word profile itself everyone knows what this means - if you say signature to someone they are thinking ok ur handwriting style? they arent thinkin about links that promote you, ur business or anything else UNLESS they are familiar with online jargon

People don't visit forums to read profiles, they visit to write and read posts. If a post has a link at the bottom to more information relevant to that post then some people will follow that link.
    People dont visit to read signatures either - some may click the links and again this is great if it helps the end user - when its cashing in $$$'s for someone then its another scenario but again thats down to the individual and i respect that..

The more links to relevant information published elsewhere that can be found on Sitepoint, the more useful Sitepoint becomes as the portal that people can use to access all that ingo and the more repeat visitors Sitepoint will get. Information doesn't necessarily have to be published on a site for the site to benefit - a site benefits from the places it links to as well.
    This would be interesting to know - how much traffic/hits/return visitors can a forum receive in backlinks triggered from signature urls If this is the case and there is a positive result then everyone's laughing really - anyone know? based on my own forum the hits generated from such are marginal to say the least

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i know advertising is vital - but ur question was regarding purchasing something from tv!
    Ah, but that was not the point I was trying to make.

As I recall you said something along the lines that everyone you know hates the ads and ignores them. I was just trying to say that even though they hate ads and pretend to ignore, they still are effected by them ads.

well i probably make up 520 of them - but regarding the profile - i dont think people like being logged/captured viewing someone's profile i.e the last 10 visitors - sometimes people just like to snoop and its a bit off-putting IMO thats one of the downsides - but still if u wanna know something about someone im going to check the profile
    Yeah sure, but still that's the point - signatures win.

I wanted to find out why people did
    Well, there you go. You think signatures aren't the place for your ads, but people think they are for theirs.
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, but that was not the point I was trying to make.

As I recall you said something along the lines that everyone you know hates the ads and ignores them. I was just trying to say that even though they hate ads and pretend to ignore, they still are effected by them ads.
    i agree most people are influenced by advertising of course they are - i tend not to be is all im saying

Yeah sure, but still that's the point - signatures win.

Well, there you go. You think signatures aren't the place for your ads, but people think they are for theirs.
    Well thats that then isnt it lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i tend not to be is all im saying
    Oh but you are
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait, ur right saul - i keep clicking on ur name in ur signature and nothings happening but I cant stop clicking, whats wrong!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A play on scarcity. Once the PMs start rolling in about it I will be selling paid access
    Saul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - I will say this - that it is refreshing to see a signature promote a good cause without self gain/promotion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pfff, there's always self gain.
    Saul

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As Robert Heinlein said "TANSTAAFL" - there aint no such thing as a free lunch.

Whenever someone does something "free" they are expecting to get some sort of benefit in return (it just may not be a cash return).

So when are they planning to add profiles to this forum if they are so useful?
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    I want hits. I have the site in my signature so I can get some from here.

That doesn't mean I don't enjoy posting, but as long as I'm posting may as well get my site out there too.

I put a lot of time and effort into my websites, the more people that see and enjoy them, the better I feel; makes me feel that my time wasn't wasted.

you are right, Leave a links signature is also a return.
    Signature does not prevent us from sharing in the forum

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    saul there is always self gain but not for everyone - mr generalisation

felgall - i disagree with that quote and when i do something for free i never expect anything in return because im doing it for free in the first place!

andylin - i didnt say that it does prevent sharing - like i said many times before its up to u how u use ur signature, but its nice to hear the reasons for that usage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    - I will say this - that it is refreshing to see a signature promote a good cause without self gain/promotion
    There's no such thing as a selfless act, every action has some kind of gain (intentional or otherwise) attached to it

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no such thing as a selfless act, every action has some kind of gain (intentional or otherwise) attached to it
    this is a very sad statement to make .... what kind of people do u know lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am serious... say you donate to a charity... you may have thought it was a selfless act but you get a good feeling out of doing good... that good feeling is a reward, there's an episode of the TV series friends which covers this thing. But it is entirely true, there's no such thing as a selfless act.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am serious... say you donate to a charity... you may have thought it was a selfless act but you get a good feeling out of doing good... that good feeling is a reward, there's an episode of the TV series friends which covers this thing. But it is entirely true, there's no such thing as a selfless act.
    friends...did you say.... friends? i'll forget you mentioned that programme

ok i see ur point, you are right - there is something to be returned from doing something that in turn makes u feel good about doing it even if ur going to do it for free

BUT...there are other scenarios where u are just doing someone a good turn out of the kindness of ur heart - theres not necessarily a good feeling after it - there are lots of obliging people out there who are just like that because its in their nature to be like that, sure everyone feels good after helping someone out but sometimes its just automatic for some people