SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SQL Server for Win 98 ?

Hi ...

I have Win98 and my employer has some applications on SQL Server ... now i need to develop some work at my home ... but the problem is the new MDAC doesn't support SQL Server 7.0 Desktop Edition ... what do i do now ?

- is their any higher version of SQL Server which can run on 98 ?

- Does the querying procedure of MS Access is same as of SQL Server ?

- If i upgrade to Win XP Personal Edition, will it help ? though i don't wanna do it ...

Please help, thanks a lot ...

(my sql server connecting problem:
    http://sitepointforums.com/showthrea...threadid=64045 )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SQL Server 7.0 System Requirements

* Server
    PC with a Pentium (166 MHz or higher) or Alpha processor
    One of the following operating systems:
    Windows 2000 Server
    Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
    Windows NT Server version 4.0
    Windows NT 4.0 Service Pack 5 Terminal Server Edition, if you are using SQL Server 7.0 Service Pack 1 or later
    Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 4 or later (Service Pack 4 included)

* Desktop
    Identical to Server requirements with the following exceptions:
    You can also run it on Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional, Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me.
    Each installation of SQL Server Desktop requires a per-seat client access license for SQL Server 7.0; SQL Server Desktop will only interact with SQL Server in per-seat mode.

---

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition and Standard Edition run on Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server operating systems, Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0 Service Pack 5 (SP5) or later, and Windows NT Server 4.0 Enterprise Edition with SP5 or later

SQL Server 2000 trial software and SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition run on the operating systems listed above for the Enterprise and Standard Editions as well as on Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP5 or later.

SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition and SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine run on the operating systems listed above for Enterprise and Standard Editions, as well as on Windows 98, Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me), Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows 2000 Professional, and Windows NT Workstation 4.0 with SP5 or later.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql
    MS Access queries are not exactly the same as Sql Server stored procedures

Upgrade to Win2000 Pro is my recommendation