User Tag List

Thread: profile pic

SitePoint Enthusiast Marty Chambers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

profile pic

Hey I'm trying to get up with the big boys and have a profile pic.

http://martynchamberlin.com/Files/Martyn.JPG

so there's the url to an option. But I can't figure out how to activate it. Does the picture have to actually be online in order to use it, or can I use one that's just in a file on my computer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya, Im not sure if there is a minimum amount of posts requirement, but if the upload form shows up then I think you can.

You can upload the picture, but it doesnt resize it for you - you have to do it yourself.

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 160 by 100 pixels or 64.0 KB (whichever is smaller).

So resize your image to 160 wide by 100 tall and try uploading again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what would the URL be to a picture on the desktop? Just the picture name?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The URL would link to a picture you have online, or if the upload form is there you can upload it to Sitepoint's servers and display it from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Im stuck if I don't have a pic online that's small enough...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if the form is there or not... The thing I'm looking at is under "my sitepoint" then under "edit your details", and close to the bottom there's a form to URL a picture... I've urled an online pic but nothin happened

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pic is there: http://martynchamberlin.com/Files/Martyn.JPG

You can find that URL displayed under your profile (under the about me tab): http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/member.php?u=353689

If you want an avatar go to > my sitepoint then farther down the left column there is a link to "edit avatar", though you'll need to shrink down the pic above to use it, though they have some default ones you can choose from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm so what on earth is an avatar? That must be the equivalent to facebook's profile picture... which is what I thought I was editing when I was really editing my personal profile. I'm still confused about the personal profile picture - where that picture would appear. Oh well at least I'm now with the big boys. xD

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Chambers View Post
    Hmmm so what on earth is an avatar? That must be the equivalent to facebook's profile picture... which is what I thought I was editing when I was really editing my personal profile. I'm still confused about the personal profile picture - where that picture would appear. Oh well at least I'm now with the big boys. xD
    Welcome to SitePoint Marty

Well, an avatar is the little picture under your username, on mine it is the pink sea horse. You have chosen the blue curtain for now. Once you have posted more than 25 posts (posts in the chat section do not count), then you can upload your own avatar.

The profile picture is the picture that gets featured on your personal profile page, that one can be larger than the 75px x 75px Avatar. The profile page is the page that pops up when you click Your Profile on the My SitePoint.

You can also click on any username, including your own, to get to the profile page. The profile page can be customized to your liking also. Have fun.

You will get the hang of it soon
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm ok sounds good. So you are a sitepoint employee? You just hang out on this site all day? kindu cool lol well if I wanted to change my name on here, is that possible, or would I have to actually set up a real account? Haha see my real name doesn't fit in the character limit. Then again, I am noticing that most of you folks aren't using your real name, so maybe I shouldn't either...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Chambers View Post
    Hmmm ok sounds good. So you are a sitepoint employee? You just hang out on this site all day? kindu cool lol well if I wanted to change my name on here, is that possible, or would I have to actually set up a real account? Haha see my real name doesn't fit in the character limit. Then again, I am noticing that most of you folks aren't using your real name, so maybe I shouldn't either...
    Marty, I am just a member the way you are a member. I come here to learn and to teach as well

Most of us do not use our real name, but after a while people get to know each other and we use our first names in posts
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. I thought by the "Graphic Design Guru" badge and the sitepoint design above that, that you were in the system. Well you know this site well to know that it takes 25 posts to have a customized avatar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of each year we have a vote on this forum. People are recognized for their knowledge in a given field. I was voted Graphic Design Guru

So that is what the badge is. Why do you not go to the FAQ and read up on the staff structure? That way you will know a bit more about this forum
    Ulrike