User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forums: It's Almost 2010. Where Are We?

Hey dudes/chicks,

I've ran my music recording forum since 2005. It's grown by leaps and bounds. I've been happily using the vBulletin platform for some time. It's been very good to me. However, it's time to expand. I'm looking to move towards a full blown community beyond that of just a forum.

The forum is useful, but I want members posting their own blogs and put time into their own profiles as is the focus on Myspace. I want full integration through numerous features throughout my community and I'm growing tired of the vBulletin here, Wordpress there, X script there setup.

My hope was that vBulletin 4 would be the answer. Based on what I'm reading, they aren't really adding any new features to it. I guess their fundamental platform is changing, but that seems more like a feature than a benefit to me. (We'll see.)

So, I'm looking for a killer forum at least equal to vBulletin, which I can expand into a full blown community with mega user profiles that encourage blog writing and other activities that go past the forum system. I'm cool with modding a script, if necessary, but it just feels like being almost 2010, someone should have a killer solution out of the box for this by now.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations?

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered going that route. Then integrating it starts getting tricky.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Killer Home Recording

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    brandondrury, the problem is your wanting the forum to become something it isn't, a forum is not a social network or a blogging station, if you want something to ingregrate the features you should probably be looking at portal software, a CMS like drupal or a multiplatform system like wordpress which extends beyond blogging to a social platform. Forums are software and as such, people expect them to just do what is needed, not be bloated beyond capability.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem is your wanting the forum to become something it isn't
    From maybe a 2006 perspective you are correct. I'm thinking that there is a natural evolution from "just a forum" to a full blown community. The level of interaction between people online has changed in the past few years. The forum certainly has it's place.

Regardless, thanks for the help. I'll check out Drupal. It's been a few years.

Forums are software and as such, people expect them to just do what is needed, not be bloated beyond capability.
    It may turn out that my needs are quite specialized. However, my gut says there is a natural evolution to the forum that could make the forum even more effective. My experience has shown me that developers seldom change hats enough to see this.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Killer Home Recording

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    brandondrury, no see your talking social networks and collaboration software here, a forum is not a twitter platform, it's not a facebook profile system, it's a messaging system which isn't live... while they could make transitions towards the social web it really isn't something the majority of people look for in a forum platform. Forum's have their place on the web and realistically, taking it beyond what they are now would be changing it to something other than a forum. It's not evolution, it's hybridization, don't get me wrong, I am all for the social web and making thing's more integrated but what your saying is like saying "let's have a chat room which connects to twitter, has profiles with facebook, aids blogging and is a full blown e-commerce system for product pitching".

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The closest you can get to what it sounds like you're looking for is through various plugins for the platforms and bridges that sync the login information between the different systems.

I saw a social plugin a while back for wordpress, so you might be able to use that and a bridge to vbulletin.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3d buzz looks like its based off of vBulletin

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php

The blog page still has vbforum in the address.
    Kevin

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The closest you can get to what it sounds like you're looking for is through various plugins for the platforms and bridges that sync the login information between the different systems.
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if there were any turnkey solutions or not.

3d buzz looks like its based off of vBulletin
    Wow! Very nice! These guys know what they are doing!

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Killer Home Recording

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about the CMS related stuff in vBulletin 4. That certainly seems more like it is adding new features, to me.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.