SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compatibility advice needed

Hi, I would like to seek some advice regarding some compatibility issue I am facing. I just compare the version of my local MySQL and PHP and webserver with the production version (provided by the web hosting provider).

Local Version
    • MySQL server - 5.1.34-ndb-7.0.6-cluster-gpl
    • MySQL client - 5.1.3
    • PHP extension - mysqli
    • phpmyadmin - 3.2.0.1
    • WebServer - Apache/2.2.12 (Win32) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.12

Production
    • MySQL server - 5.0.67-community-nt
    • MySQL client - 5.0.51a
    • PHP extension - mysql
    • phpmyadmin - 3.0.1.1
    • WebServer - Microsoft-IIS/7.0

Just wondering if I have these little differences, will I face any big compatibility issue? I hope to get this clear before I get myself deeper and deeper into it.

Thanks a lot.

From,
    Steve Ngai
    My Personal HomePage - www.findingsteve.net

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The main obstacles you face are in the differences between the PHP Extensions you have shown.

mysql is not the same as mysqli

PHP 5.0 to 5.1 had some significant differences if you use OOP and if you want to use PDO for your database connections.

If you cannot alter that Production box by upgrading PHP, then I'd say downgrade your local server to try and match.

The Apache/IIS diff is slight as long as you do not use mod_rewrite, if you do then be prepared to pay a small amount to get a rewrite module installed (speaking from IIS5/6 experience, maybe IIS7 has something installed).

I dev on win2003/apache and Live is *nix, but all the software versions are almost exactly the same, though I have worked on varying OSs at the same time - the differences are surprisingly small. My best advice is to get that live box updated past 5.1, and if you are doing that then go for the last 5.2.x - or even 5.3.

Getting mysql installed on post 5.0 machines can be fiddly - but there is plenty of advice out there on how to do this - the manual is the best place to start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cups, thanks a lot for the advices. Okay, I will try to ask if the web hosting can upgrade the version. Otherwise, I will try to look for the downgrade version to match them.

I have no idea on "mod_rewrite". Will phpmyadmin use "mod_rewrite"? I only use phpmyadmin to manage mysql. My development is done in vb.net

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mod_rewrite is an optional apache add-in module which is very popular because it allows you, the developer to publish meaningful, seo-friendly URLs such as :

website .com/presevatifs/glow-in-the-dark/green

and requests to that address are "rewritten" them so that the resulting webpage is generated from your Actual webpage whose real address might be something similar to:

website .com/products.php?range=preservatifs&type=glow_in_the_dark&colour=green

So, it runs a regular expression over the url following rather strict, but immensely useful rules.

Options for IIS exist, but they are not free (IIRC)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrite. I see. I understand it a bit. Thanks.