SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time management advice please

Well, I need some help from more experienced folks. I'm active duty US Army right now (for the last 6 1/2 years) and I am also really active online. I have 3 main websites...

ArmedForcesCarClub.com which is a military/car forum with about 450 members. I run it by myself.

SuccessOnMyMind.com which is my personal/aspiring entrepreneur blog and I write all content myself.

Noobjunction.com which is my newest site and though I'm not web development or internet marketing pro, the site is to help flat out "noobs" learn to get started.

I am currently sitting about 20 miles from Baghdad finishing up my 4th overseas tour.

I am also an online DeVry student in a Bachelor's program for Computer Information Systems with an emphasis in Web Development & Administration. I take two classes at a time that the military pays for.

Is this all too much to handle? Nope. Is it too much to handle without a plan? Yup. What do you all do to manage what's on your plate?

I've thought about setting up minimum standards like

- 15 posts/day on both of my forums
    - 1 blog post every 3 days on my blog
    - 45 minutes of dedicated school work monday through friday and 2 hours saturday

Do you have anything to suggest to help me keep track of what I'm doing? Right now, I just do what I have to do to stay ahead.

Thanks in advance.
    I build WordPress with the Volatyl Framework.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are a busy bloke Sean!

The first thing I always do is prioritise everything...

1. Critical jobs that must be done today
    2. Semi-critical jobs that needs to be done as soon as possible, today if I get time but, can be done tomorrow
    3. Non critical jobs to do when time allows

Once I've done that I can then forecast how I plan my day. For instance, tommorrow I have some critical jobs which will take me 2-3 hours, I'll do those first. Next I'll do some work on semi-critical jobs and allow about 3-4 hours. I always allow another 1-2 hours each day for dealing with things like email, accounting and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok I see... so do you analyze your tasks on a daily basis? If so, do you do it the morning of? The night before? I think that's a great idea though. I know that my duties here in the military will need to come first. But then after that, it's hard for me to say what's most important. I would guess school and then my websites but I'm not sure how true that is. I think I need to figure out exactly what my sites need, you know? There are days where I just go to my forums and post. There are other days where I actually do web dev work for them. I think that's where I run into problems. I switch things up quite often. Maybe I should separate leisure website work (posting) and web dev work. That may help me prioritize better.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In reality I'm usually planning a few days ahead, eg, as I write I've got work booked in for next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - so next weeks tasks are pretty much mapped out for me.

I think the key is to assess what time you have available and what you need to get done in that time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya... I need to plan forward more. It's a bit tough because I can't always see how much time school work will take me each week... but I think I can get a good estimate. Mission (military) sometimes changes things too.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can imagine things can be a bit hectic out there and you never really know when your free time will be?

I'd say prioritising things is probably the best way to go, so when you do get some free time you can look at your list of jobs and start picking away at them in order. Exactly what get's done first is of course up to you and common sense - if you're doing dev work for a client it stand to reason that is more important than your personal stuff?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow..that's so many things. I would suggest you to focus just on one website as of now...Once that picks up, you can always push the traffic on to the other sites from there and help them grow faster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would definitely be more important but no... I only do work for myself right now so I don't have to worry about that. You're right, though. Prioritizing clearly will be my key. That way I just have a simple check list as my free time reveals itself and unpredictable times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Myfavorite View Post
    wow..that's so many things. I would suggest you to focus just on one website as of now...Once that picks up, you can always push the traffic on to the other sites from there and help them grow faster
    That's true. The only problem is that they are not very closely related at all. I have plenty of traffic on my military/car site but none of those guys care to be web developers or entrepreneurs haha. That's definitely a good strategy though.