SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help to write code for message board and also some advice for newbie

I am learning different aspects of web designing with the help of tutorials and the sitepoint books and forums. I have WAMP installed on my local pc. I have so far managed to build a website containing a few pages which includes a photo gallery (I used php and mysql to create the gallery) and a valid contact form as well. I have uploaded it and have the site running well without any problems.

Now that I have succeeded in doing the above, I want to try something different.

I want to learn how to build a message board. I can probably try to integrate that into the site that I have built. I need some ideas. When I was building the gallery, some people advised me that I am taking too much trouble trying to write the code and it is easier to use something like Coppermine. But I was keen to learn to write the code and I did succeed in doing so, albeit after many frustrating hours and sleepless nights.
    I want to know if it is worth learning how to write the code for a message board. Do professional designers use readymade scripts for a message board? Or do most of them write their own code?

One more thing is that I am having some trouble with the localhost on my PC. So, is it a good idea to have a test domainname and use the services of my webhost (since I am already using the services of hostgator) and test my pages directly on the webhost's server rather than the local server?

I am thinking of having a portfolio page on my site, where I can upload the different kinds of sample sites that I have built. I would want to build different kinds of sites, each showcasing the different skills that I have learnt. Should I have separate domain names for each site? Or is it easier to have subdomains?

I am looking forward to any advice.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppp View Post
    I want to know if it is worth learning how to write the code for a message board. Do professional designers use readymade scripts for a message board? Or do most of them write their own code?
    I don't actually know anyone who has written their own message board products, the thing is that Message boards are one of those web applications which have evolved and become so mature that reinventing the wheel would be a pointless endevour (unless you actively plan to take on the major brands). My advice would be to look for something else to produce if you want to create something and advance your coding knowledge because there are just so many message board products out there (and a lot of high quality ones for varied needs) it would be just a waste of your time

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will try and integrate a readymade message board into my site. Is there any difference between a forum and a message board?

I am now looking forward to getting any advice on the other issues mentioned in my thread.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forums are message boards (as in they are the same thing)