SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Client wants tutorial on how to make changes

Simply put, my client has asked for a tutorial on how to make changes to their site so that they don't need to bother me each time they have something (but really meaning so she doesn't need to spend any more money).

On the one hand, I don't want her going near it because she has no clue what she's doing. I can just see one little change messing up the entire site.

On the other hand, I think to myself; it's her site, her hosting, etc., does she not have the right to ask for this, whether she can handle it or not?

Any suggestions on how to handle it? I'm thinking of giving her a little tid bit of information that shows I'm willing to try to get her started on doing it herself, but hoping that she gets overwhelmed and doesn't want to touch it. Then offer something like $20.00/hr to make the modifications she requires.

I'm more concerned over the site getting messed up than I am about getting more money from her, but then still want to get compensated for the additional time required.

Do you think that sounds fair enough? Again, any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not set up a copy of a few of her pages (or all of them if it's a small site) in a subdomain off the main site that she can mess up without destroying the main site and recommending a couple of good tutorial sites - HTML Dog used to be a good one, but I don't even know if it still exists.
    I believe in free speech, free markets, and free software.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah, that's not a half bad idea. I think i'll give that a shot! Thanks for the suggestion. Mucho appreciated.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similiar request to this too Newbird - I described what they had to do and even included snippets of code that they had to replace etc - did this all for free *i didnt mind* so, time went by and i checked up on the site and all was well, then i did another project down the line and went to receive payment, then i was nabbed again for another "request", it was a more indepth one this time, i said sure why not but didn't mention the "free" part this time, i just said they would be probably easier to send the stuff onto me and i'll do the rest no problem, wink wink...they were happy with this arrangement - even though im a teacher I wasnt going to teach them everything they needed to know about how to edit and manage their site there and then and for free..forget it!

But anyway, back to ur situation.....I would charge for the tutorial or better still upgrade her existing site to a CMS - ur time is money afterall goodluck !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help peeps! The client's agreed to an hourly rate for updates

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice one newbird