User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla or Drupal for Web design Business Site

Hey everyone,

I am interested in creating a new basic website for a business I am creating that will design websites for tradespeople in the UK. I know that the debate of joomla or drupal has likely been dealt with before but I haven't used either. I do have some experience of CMS's through Magento.

I was wondering however which of the two systems would be best for creating a basic website that has a homepage as well as services, Contact and portfolio page?

I was also wondering whether either system would be appropriate for the kind of websites I am likely to design for trades people?

Anyway, I would be really grateful for anyones input.

Thanks

Tom

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not wordpress , its powerful and effective ... Its simplicity will give you an upper edge

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bloggercheck,

I did also think about wordpress, however all wordpress themes and templates are in a blog format, obviously because wordpress was created as a blogging tool. Is it possible to create simple looking websites using wordpress without all the blog looking parts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A week ago I decided to start working with Joomla. I had spent much time trying to work out which would be the best/easiest/fastest/safest etc. etc. but eventually realised that by and large they are all pretty much able to do what you need. Experience and knowledge is really what is needed. The right teaching aids are also important.

For a good set of Joomla videos have a look at Joseph LeBlanc's site. Covers from beginning to end.

For getting the basic design started it would be good to use the 960 Grid System so that your look is uniform. Then you can use the Joomla Template Kit if you are like me and enjoy DreamWeaver.

This should get you going with many tools at your disposal. Of course a mine of info is the www.Joomla.org site itself.
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Romuba,

Thanks for your reply. I imagine you are right and that most of them would be appropriate for what I need. I have been leaning towards joomla for some reason, not really sure why; there seem to be a lot of available templates for Joomla websites.

I would still be really interested to hear other peoples opinions on what they think is the better of the two?

Thanks

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zikula is my choice, Streamlined core, several functional modules that can bring you the rest of the functions needed, and a distribution wizard so you can build the package how you want it.
    Halbrook Technologies - Web Hosting &
    Zikula Application Framework Services

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by t_pinchen View Post
    I did also think about wordpress, however all wordpress themes and templates are in a blog format, obviously because wordpress was created as a blogging tool. Is it possible to create simple looking websites using wordpress without all the blog looking parts?
    Of course you can hide all blog looking parts of some blog software (not sure about wordpress as I do not use it). I'd recommend serendipity.

I think both Drupal and Joomla are overkill for a basic website, but if you want to use one of them my personal choice would be Drupal.

If I create a very basic website, I do it from scratch - no limitations by ready-to-use-software and no overhead for things you do not need

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For what you want, Joomla and Drupal are overkill. Wordpress is a way better option. Wordpress is a blog engine yes, but it can be made to work as a website sooner than you can can upload Joomla and Drupal's millions of files to the server. Okay I am exaggerating but you get the point.

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure you need a CMS at all for what you describe. If you do, however, then any light-weight CMS would suffice.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

SitePoint Guru silver trophy JamesColin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd use Drupal in your case, but you're not me. In your case any CMS would do. Many people who don't know much about cms hesitate between joomla and drupal and then choose joomla. The pros who hesitate between several CMS for a big project often chose drupal.
    the pros look at features and pratical things such as quality of code and ease of extensibility, the other just look at what's cool and what is recommended by other not-pro on forums.
    You'll think joomla is easier to learn, that may be so but only by an inch, and that inch will cost you more in the future when you'll be stuck with joomla because you won't have the courage of wasting all those hours of learning joomla and start at zero again with superior drupal...

But at the moment, since you need very basic features, you can chose any CMS you want if they can't do what you want they're not CMS!
    Do you really need traffic? Where to? What for?
    If you really do need traffic then stop messing around!
    Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer :
    200,000+ UV / Month

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering your description of the site and your experience level I would also recommend Wordpress. A product like artisteer (http://www.artisteer.com) can help you with templates for any of the 3.