User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows vs Linux

I have a website related to my business, i want to host it on the internet. But i do not know which web hosting to follow. I want great security to my data. Please tell me Which web hosting is best whether Windows web hosting or Linux web hosting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your choice of Linux or Windows hosting should be influenced by the use to which you intend to put it. The majority of web features including PHP, MySQL, POP3 etc run fine on both Windows server as well as Linux servers.

If you intend to develop your site using ASP, FrontPage, ASP.NET environment, Windows Streaming Media, Access, MS SQL Server, or any of the other Microsoft’s owned technologies then you should opt for Windows hosting or else Linux hosting is fine.

100% Uptime Cloud Hosting
    || Dedicated Servers
    Email :: sales @ eUKhost.com
    Complete Web Hosting solutions at eUKhost.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows is better as far as data security is concerned.

Good luck.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who says so, and why?
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With the exception of large businesses running their own hosting on in house Windows servers, the vast majority of web sites run on Linux hosting. That means that there are more options available both in scripts that have already been written and in being able to get help if you choose Linux hosting rather than the much less common Linux hosting.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hostingfs, it depends what technology you need and what server-side languages you are intent on using, generally it only makes a difference if you want to use Microsoft technologies like ASP(.NET) or if you are looking for premade scripts (as felgall mentioned with Linux there's more choice).

Quote Originally Posted by MyDomAinZ.us View Post
    If you are going to post claims like that you should at least back them up with evidence, because let's be serious here, if your trying to claim Windows is more secure than Linux it's going to seem pretty bogus when you are throwing round meaningless claims with nothing to substanciate them.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eukhost View Post
    Your choice of Linux or Windows hosting should be influenced by the use to which you intend to put it. The majority of web features including PHP, MySQL, POP3 etc run fine on both Windows server as well as Linux servers.

If you intend to develop your site using ASP, FrontPage, ASP.NET environment, Windows Streaming Media, Access, MS SQL Server, or any of the other Microsoft’s owned technologies then you should opt for Windows hosting or else Linux hosting is fine.
    thank you for the brief and clear info..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MyDomAinZ.us View Post

Good luck.
    Well, as far as I know, most of the hosting providers and people related to web hosting industry recommend Linux in terms of security as most of the Viruses do not affect the Linux operating system and they can remain in the Linux environment without affecting the operating system and the data.

When it comes to Windows, we are all aware of the problems which arise when Viruses affect our local Machine with Windows operating system

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Linux as it is cheaper and more virus and spam protected.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Linux website is more secure and economical platform as compare to Window platform. IWIHosting is reliable hosting company to provide best and quality feature services in their Linux Web Hosting. They also provide stable network and 99% uptime in their Linux Hosting packages. I am also using Linux Hosting with Apache server which is one of the fastest and reliable servers in world. You can try their services with budget price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both OSes are only as secure as their admin knows to make them. This makes research on the company you choose to buy hosting from more important than the OS itself.

Your choice of Linux or Windows hosting should be influenced by the use to which you intend to put it.
    I agree with that advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have mentioned you have a website already. Then the first criteria would be technologies with help of which it is built - whether you would need ASP technology or not.

If technology does not play a critical role, my vote would go for Linux since it is easier to manage it and especially manage security settings...
    X-Cart - tens thousands live online shops worldwide
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you know what kind of the web hosting tyopur web application requries and then do the search according that
    ServerPoint.com - a true hosting company since 1998
    Web Hosting, colocation,
    dedicated servers, Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    hostingfs, it depends what technology you need and what server-side languages you are intent on using, generally it only makes a difference if you want to use Microsoft technologies like ASP(.NET) or if you are looking for premade scripts (as felgall mentioned with Linux there's more choice).

If you are going to post claims like that you should at least back them up with evidence, because let's be serious here, if your trying to claim Windows is more secure than Linux it's going to seem pretty bogus when you are throwing round meaningless claims with nothing to substanciate them.
    Please check all the big companies and network establishments, almost all of them are on Windows platform for security and stability reasons. LINUX is used only by small and medium size companies. I do not want to name any company, hopefully you know the big names and small names

Best regards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please check all the big companies and network establishments, almost all of them are on Windows platform for security and stability reasons.
    Big companies pay top dollar and get special attention. If there's any serious reason behind it all, it is support and a proper communication line. As a small provider you are not paying at the same level, you're not playing at the same level.

There are also lots of other reasons why the big players choose another big player as a partner in the game. Security and stability are just reasons to put in the press release. You know, just how politicians ally with their former opponents just to ensure their own access to power, and will then state that they do it "for the greater good of the society".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you chose Linux you get more options ftp accounts and such
    I want an invisible team V

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc View Post
    Big companies pay top dollar and get special attention. If there's any serious reason behind it all, it is support and a proper communication line. As a small provider you are not paying at the same level, you're not playing at the same level.

There are also lots of other reasons why the big players choose another big player as a partner in the game. Security and stability are just reasons to put in the press release. You know, just how politicians ally with their former opponents just to ensure their own access to power, and will then state that they do it "for the greater good of the society".
    Idcdc, there is no point arguing with you. You are comparing 'politics' with 'networking' Let us concentrate on 'networking security' only and related best hosting platform. I am still stick to Windows server as far as 'database security' is concerned and will again stress that all big companies websites are on Windows hosting as far as 'database security' is concerned.

Best regards as usual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are comparing 'politics' with 'networking'
    Not really, I was comparing business to politics. You think that business decisions at huge corporations rely on technical things (e.g. network security) as a primary goal. It then stands within reason to consider that Windows is more secure and overall better than other solutions out there.

I think that the technical considerations tend to have a much smaller influence in their decisions, and as such cannot conclude the same thing.

database security
    Isn't that more of a MySQL:MSSQL comparison then?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Big companies tend to go for Windows rather than Linux because they have the servers in house and look after them themselves. Since they already have support staff supporting their windows desktop computers it iis cheaper for them to use the same support staff to support their web servers and so run windows because that is what the support staff know.

What database you run on the web server has little to do with the choice between Windows and Linux as most databases will run on either one.

The closest to a technical reason that big companies have for running windows rather than Linux is that the big bosses mistakenly think it will be cheaper to run the same operating system across everything.
    Stephen J Chapman

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    MyDomAinZ, the fact that many big companies use Windows hosting has nothing in relation to the security of their databases, your drawing comparisons where they don't belong or exist. Most organisations tend to use Windows purely out of a distrust of community supported open source projects, Windows you get technical support from a single entity (as is the same with all Microsoft products) which the businesses can rely on. If you want to seperate security from politics you should immediately stop referencing the Windows / Linux divide... It's like saying that the reason people use Photoshop is because it runs on Windows and not Linux... the OS has nothing todo with it, it's entirely down to the package as to whether a business will use it. As an example of this I notice when you talk about database security you entirely omitted which database they were using... because I am sure that mySQL on IIS is just as secure as mySQL on apache.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Actually, Windows has been in this industry for a long time and people mostly use Windows operating system for their desktops and hence they find it quite user friendly and are comfortable with it. Therefore, users mostly consider Windows operating system for their hosting requirements.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James Ross View Post
    Therefore, users mostly consider Windows operating system for their hosting requirements.
    Actually they don't since Linux has about as big a share of the web hosting environment as Windows has of the desktop environment.
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the advantages which I found of Linux hosting are:

1. Linux hosting is Cheaper than windows. Since linux is open source, it comes free and there is no license fee associated with it. Thats why linux hosting are generally cheaper than windows.
    2. Linux server has some of the popular features which windows server does not support like mod rewriting, cron job, etc.
    3. All popular blog and forum scripts runs on linux server if at any point of time you want to add forum or blog in your site you should use linux hosting.
    4. There are far greater number of open source and free scripts available which run on linux environment.

Steven
    TheSSLStore
    RapidSSLonline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, I've had more problems with ASP websites than PHP.

I think Linux servers are faster, better supported (90&#37; of the world's websites run on Linux), less prone to viruses (we all know there's plenty of ASP worms out there), and more secure.
    Scumlabs.com - Free flash games
    Play Super Mario Flash!
    Play Raiden X!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Actually they don't since Linux has about as big a share of the web hosting environment as Windows has of the desktop environment.
    Some of the newbies in the hosting industry and some of the users who have been in the hosting industry for a long time consider Windows operating system as they feel that it will be easier for them to manage Windows hosting packages and servers as they are used to Windows.

You will find many users having websites developed in PHP and HTML using Windows hosting packages or servers