SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll: What flavor/variant of Unix do you use?

I use Linux and will use FreeBSD (as soon as 4.6 is released!)...

- Joel

PS. i didn't make a poll because i wasn't sure what else there would be and didn't want to miss out on any which would offend any sensibilities

SitePoint Zealot .[:] : paVel : [:].'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok

gingham dress, army boots... silver trophy redux's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    suse linux 7.2 pro and freebsd 4.5 at home (tried installing darwin as well, but my machine froze up), suse linux 8.0 and solaris (version ? can't remember) at work.
    re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
    [latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
    WaSP Accessibility Task Force Member
    splintered.co.uk | photographia.co.uk | redux.deviantart.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running Red Hat 7.1 on my home machine.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suse linux 7.3 Pro. I know that 8.0 is out but i heard that KDE 3 is slow. Anybody have first-hand experience with this to confirm? I'm not sure if I should upgrade or stay with 7.3. Btw, linux runs much better than windows and the best part is that it automatically turns my pc off when i'm done. For some reason XP doesn't seem to do this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mandrake 8.1 at the moment.

Originally posted by Ben
    Suse linux 7.3 Pro. I know that 8.0 is out but i heard that KDE 3 is slow. Anybody have first-hand experience with this to confirm? I'm not sure if I should upgrade or stay with 7.3. Btw, linux runs much better than windows and the best part is that it automatically turns my pc off when i'm done. For some reason XP doesn't seem to do this.
    I like KDE3 a lot more than the previous versions, but it does seem to load programs noticeably slower. I'm not sure exactly why that is, but there's probably a fix out for now or soon. Gnome was my original preference, but it didn't seem quite as stable and refined.

I also read somewhere that the latest SuSe versions perform better.
    Everything has been figured out, except how to live. - Jean-Paul Sartre (1905-1980)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I occasonally use mandrake 7 -- but it's on a seperate computer with no moniter.. so I can never be bothered using it.

I use redhat 7.1 as well... mainly for uni

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Suse Linux Pro 8.0 on my laptop. RedHat on my webserver, used to be FreeBSD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    redhat 7.3 on server and mandrake 8 on dormant comp.
    The InspirAzNz...NetWorK [Down]

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None...
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well. i use Redhat 7.1 . i find it better than mandrake.. but its just MY opinion..
    Peace.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would you want to use anything else? I am running Mac OS X 10.1.5. Have Apache, PHP & JSP up and operational on it too. Fast, stable and easy to use. Can it get any better?

geof

<?php echo(witty title)?> Sal Petrarca's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Geof Harries
    Why would you want to use anything else? I am running Mac OS X 10.1.5. Have Apache, PHP & JSP up and operational on it too. Fast, stable and easy to use. Can it get any better?

geof
    Yes, in fact, it can. Look what you can do with UNIX/Linux compared to Mac OS X...you can turn to OS into your OS if you have the dedication to learn C.

I'm going to run Red Hat 7.3 on a computer I'm working on setting up at home...I used 7.2 for a while, but didn't really get into it since I didn't know that much about the system at that time, then we started learning about UNIX at the Career Center, and...
    Geeks...Rock...Your...Box
    Sites:Dark Moon Rising:::My Site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used SunOS 5.7 for a while as well as the SGI variant but found them to be cumbersome (and *shock horror* WinNT was actually more capable for what I was doing...). When I move house I want to start playing with Linux... so seriously which is the best for me to start with?
    I swear to drunk I'm not God.
    » Matt's debating is not a crime «
    Hint: Don't buy a stupid dwarf ö Clicky

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will admit that I am not the most unix-knowledgable person out there, but for what I need to do, my Mac is running the most user-friendly version of anything ending with -nix.

I have toyed around with Red Hat 7.2 in the past and dabbled a bit in Mandrake as well, but nothing comes close, at least for my purposes, compared to mac os x. Stable, consistent, never needs to be rebooted (going on 3 weeks of 9 hour days, 5 days a week currently) running all sorts of programs, and multi-tasking better than windows will ever know how. Plus it stay out of your way and takes care of itself. I can rely on my mac to always work, and handle whatever I throw at it.

Nothing against Red Hat or its brethren. I like the fact that they have many of the same attributes as os x, but when I need to get work done and not in some hacked up program that tries to be like photoshop, indesign, bbedit or dreamweaver, I turn to my mac. Maybe one day photoshop will be ported over to linux

To each his own...
    Last edited by Geof Harries; Jun 18, 2002 at 10:06.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, Linux porting is fun! I ported HL over to Linux with the help of some website...it was kinda fun...getting inside Linux and all, lol

BUt yes, I must agree with you...to each his own

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to each his own i agree

still i wouldn't compare OS X against BSD or Linux... they're different sort of monsters altogether in terms of their grounding philosopies... many a *nix guru will scoff at the idea of user-friendliness (not me though )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Mac has the right idea, but most of (if not all) the standard-level productivity software out there is for Windows. If Macs began being able to use PC written software.....

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " I think that Mac has the right idea, but most of (if not all) the standard-level productivity software out there is for Windows. If Macs began being able to use PC written software....."

Depends on what you're looking for. Everything I need is available to me. Database (MySQL and more, plus software to connect to MSSQL db's), 3D (Maya, etc.), Programming (BBEdit, Dreamweaver MX), Artwork (Illustrator, Photoshop, Fireworks), Film (Premiere, Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro), word processing (Open Office, Word). The list goes on and on.

There is so much out there for Mac software; you just have to open up your eyes a little and see what's available. Why would I want to use PC software when the Mac stuff already rocks?

geof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would I want to use PC software when the Mac stuff already rocks?
    the same applies for Linux or BSD ... just to make a point...

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, I know this will be probably now turn into the atypical Mac & Linux vs. Windoze war, so I'm just going to pull out at this point so that we can all remain friends We all have opinions (even though mine is right; ha) and preferences, so I will leave it at that.

No need to beat the dead horse. ZDNet does that for us.

geof

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing against Red Hat or its brethren. I like the fact that they have many of the same attributes as os x, but when I need to get work done and not in some hacked up program that tries to be like photoshop, indesign, bbedit or dreamweaver, I turn to my mac.
    'hacked up' program? i've never really tried GIMP but i'm sure lots of people would take issue with that... and these are not hacked up programs you know... some of them have real quality... about the only thing they lack is a tech support section (if you discount the mailing-lists, discussion forums, etc.) as well as a price tag

and no i don't want a religious war here either but 'hacked up' does sound pretty demeaning...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by redemption

'hacked up' program? i've never really tried GIMP but i'm sure lots of people would take issue with that... and these are not hacked up programs you know... some of them have real quality... about the only thing they lack is a tech support section (if you discount the mailing-lists, discussion forums, etc.) as well as a price tag

and no i don't want a religious war here either but 'hacked up' does sound pretty demeaning...
    If the Windows Port of GIMP is any sign of the quality of Linux software, then I worry for the OS. The programmers of GIMP should take an afternoon course in GUI design just so they could add some to the program.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :agrees:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by W. Luke
    If the Windows Port of GIMP is any sign of the quality of Linux software, then I worry for the OS. The programmers of GIMP should take an afternoon course in GUI design just so they could add some to the program.
    I'll never get used to that. Why do so many *nix apps and apps that started on *nix have individual entries in the task bar for each window?