SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

simply rails2-wasn't happy with free sample

I wasn't happy with free sample. he seemed to be giving exercises and not explaining too much, I need it simplified but the talk was like greek. I am afraid if i buy the rest of the book it will be the same...telling you to plug this in and plug that in as if you already know how.I need to know how to actually use the program to create and design a web site. does anybody have any suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What specific passages of the book were giving you problems?
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a
    hard battle." -Plato

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    come to think of it...it started at page 95, I guess it is all the theory that annoys me, I guess I need to play with that stuff a little more and see if I can
    get a handle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4877 View Post
    come to think of it...it started at page 95, I guess it is all the theory that annoys me, I guess I need to play with that stuff a little more and see if I can
    get a handle
    I'm not sure what is on page 95 - since the book is not with me at the moment. However, I'm sure that if you can copy and paste the code or the terminology that is giving you trouble that one of us here would be glad to help clarify it. Perhaps it would make it easier if you started at the very beginning of the book. Go to your local bookstore and browse through the whole thing before you write it off.

Simply Rails 2 is one of the easier Rails books to digest. Another great alternative is Foundation Rails 2 by FriendsOfEd.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a
    hard battle." -Plato

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to the book store read over a few...interesting. I did start from the begining of the book but on page 95 it is unclear... he says "Go take a look—it lives in the config subdirectory of our Shovell application." I tried to go there, I put in cd shovell then I tried puting in database.yml, then I just put the word config but that is obviously wrong also. so how do I look?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You are referring to
    The Database Configuration File
    The separation of environments is reflected in the Rails database configuration
    file database.yml. We saw a sample of this file back in Chapter 1, and in fact
    we created our very own configuration file in Chapter 2, when we used the rails
    command. Go take a look! It lives in the config subdirectory of our Shovell application.
    This means that the database.yml file is in the config folder under the shovell folder, where ever you created that. I don't edit files from the command line in the console, but usually use windows explorer to navigate to the file then click on it to open it in the text editor. Or you could use the text editor's file -> open menu to navigate to it too if you prefer.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made it to page102 without a problem... now he has got me puzzled again. not sure what he saying to do at all. he wants me to open the SQLite console that he claims I invoked via the application directory. now, I do see the command he has there but he doesn't say where to put it, and if he is giving you the command why does he say download it from the the code archive. as you can see I don't have a clue and I did try to figure it out on my own