SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, sistem admin personal rigth violation.

Hi dear readers,

I just got hired in a new web development team and I use Gmail for personal interest. In my Gmail account I have passwords and data sheets and admin's details for my personal server and different accounts. I really don't want him to see what I am doing with my personal life and what are my projects out side of the firm. I have personal data and developing personal projects.

My firm computer uses Fedora and I don't have root access.

Haw can I prevent my administer from accessing my gmail account, and finding my passwords and other stuff that are personal ?

Did you had this problem and haw can do you resolved ?!
    Haw can I protect myself ?!

Thanks you for the time,
    Pistocel.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistocel View Post
    Haw can I prevent my administer from accessing my gmail account, and finding my passwords and other stuff that are personal ?
    there is a really simple answer

never, ever, use your personal gmail account at work

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my personal account i am subscribed on CakePhp group, and I chat there with other people, help the community and learn. I have to change this, or never us this at work ?! I find this ridiculous, I develop, I have to learn and when I have the skills I like helping others.

Tunnelling to another machine outside my work space can resolve this ? Use a proxy ?

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    when you are at work, use only work accounts

if you want to continue using your personal gmail account for work-related stuff, then you must accept the risk that your work admin can snoop

if you don't want the work admin to snoop on your personal account, don't use your personal account at work -- maybe ask your employer for a work account

it really doesn't get any simpler than that
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

King of Paralysis by Analysis bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like R937 said

You're at work, you have no personal right to privacy when using work equipment (phone, computer, fax, etc...)

If you don't want them to know about something, don't do it at work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't like this.

I will reset all my passwords and get a work yahoo account.

This is to bad, because when I work I help and get helped from my former co-workers and friends.

Not all the time I can turn to this team for help and when I get in trouble with this Linux system I don't know haw to solve a problem because I am just a noob with this file system.

If I will chat 30 min from work time with someone I don't think it will have a impact on my work or the quality of it, because I respect my employer and get the work done.

I don't think the admin will make a personal account because it is obsess with control and if it will get this set up I have a strong belief that it will leave a back door and still verify and get his hands on my passwords.

This is more like communism. I believe that this type of excessive control is not good for the long term.

Thanks you for the time.