SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Best 'Really Simple' Image Compression Software

I have a client who is going to be uploading an awful lot of photos to her website when it is completed.

Unfortunately she's not very computer literate and doesn't really have a grasp of image file size and compression.

She's using a Windows PC, and I wondered if any of you guys could recommend a fool proof, simple, cheap or free bit of compression software that I could provide her with?

I've seen plenty of options searching Google, but I'm hesitant to give anything to her that has been recommended to me.

Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

Many people already have Microsoft Office Picture Manager installed, without realising it. You can try that.

Otherwise, you could take the photos from her and batch process them on Photoshop. Probably save you time trying to find her some software and showing her how to use it!
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did know about MPM, I'll see if she's got it.

I think I really need to sort out something though, as she'll need to uploading her own images to the site each week, and currently keeps sending me 1 image at 10MB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Picasa might be a good choice, and it will help her keep the pics organised too.

Looks like she can also resize the photos on export, so she doesn't actually change the originals... http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...n&answer=13821
    Fast Fwd Multimedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers kish, I gave that a look at earlier, looks like it could be the best bet.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    jonparadise, if you want clients to compress the images, why not get them to bundle them into a compressed archive like 7-Zip or Winzip or WinRar and then send them across to you, it would retain the image quality but shave a great deal of size off the images as they would be squeezed down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex, if he's getting 10Mb image files from her, it's most likely resolution that needs to be considered, not compression. Ideally the images need to be resized before she sends them.

I run into this problem a lot where clients just download pics at high res from their digital cameras and then without resizing, either email them to me or upload them to their website CMS's.

You can program a CMS to automatically resize an image on upload, but it doesn't do much to help when they have to wait half an hour to upload a single picture.

The only solution i have found is putting local software in place for the client, and showing them how to use it... or taking the pics from the client physically on disk.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia