User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local content access.

Hello
    I am a newbie, both to this forum and to site design, although not to programming.
    I need to design a system which will allow access to content on the local machine only. As the content changes frequently, the system has to dynamically detect and display the content available at any given time.
    What I did up to now was a .hta file which runs javascript to detect and display the available files, together with links to open those files (in fact dinamically building a page).
    As I need, for each accessed file, to display some constant content in addition to the file's content, I seek to be able to dynamically build the page, reading the file from disc, adding the constant content and displaying the result. Alas, due to security issues, I can't use scripting w/o having to confirm its use every time I click on it.
    Is there another possibility?
    Also, in the future, I would like to put all the content in some db, accessed by the script.
    Thank you for your thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi

I noticed that no one replied here yet. To be honest, I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish. Will the site only run from one machine and therefore only reads the local fiels from that machine only? Or is this on the web and must access the files from each machine that browses to it?

It may be easier if you explain what this is for, so we have some context.

Cheers
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    The 'site' for want of a better name, should run from, and have access to, one machine only. It is for local access to textual data stored - in htm form - on the local hd, with data being added/edited constantly.
    The system I have working now consist of a .hta main file running scripts which access a folder structure, enumerate the existing .htm's and dynamically build pages of links to those files.
    As all the files have the same structure, and in order to save resources on the constant code (<HEAD, <BODY, tables, graphics etc.) , both in storage space, content maintenance and effort in creating new files, I thought of storing only the real data and wrapping it at run time before displaying it.
    Also, this would make a future moving of the data to a database much easier.
    I hope this better explains it.
    Thanks for answering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by 'scripting' (that has to be confirmed every time) I gather you mean javascript? Why not try something like php? I'm sorry I don't know how to help better, but it sounds like a 'server-side' script might solve the problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gather you mean javascript?
    Right.
    PHP? Would it bypass the security limitations of javascript?
    I have never used it so I would have to learn a bit. Would that mean investing a lot of time, or is it sufficiently similar to langs I know (javascript, c++, lisp)?
    How does one run it? How does it connect to .hta/.html?
    Are there interfaces to e.g. SQLite?
    server-side
    Does it not imply a client-side too? Keep in mind that I have no server software and that both 'sides' are on the same machine.
    Thanks