SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

redesigning customers site as a learning tool

Dilemma: I'm currently reinventing the way I develop and design sites. I am not super proud of work i've done in the past and would like to make amends, for portfolio reasons mostly.

Is it crazy to ask customers if I can redesign their sites and use it as a learning tool for myself? These customers are happy enough with their sites where they do not want to pay to reinvent the site. Should I do this but do it offsite, then offer the site to the customer?

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure could try offering to do it off site. Never hurts to be upgrading your skills.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    greenchuck, why not just offer this new way of designing sites for future clients, if your previous clients choose to return for a new design then you can offer to do the work using your new method, perhaps even send them a friendly email a year after their purchase asking if they would like their design "freshened up" to keep their website up with the times. That way your portfolio will be getting a lot cleaner updates over time. The last thing you want to do is start giving away your work otherwise your clients will expect you to provide them with free updates from that point into the future.