SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning how to modify a template starting with zero knowledge of design/programming

Hi,

First, I'd like to preface this by saying that I'm a total newbie to web design and programming. Therefore it's quite possible that the questions I'm about to ask are not even phrased/described properly. I'm sorry about that.

So, I have an idea for a dating website that I'd like to try out, and basically I'm wondering if my best course of action would be to

a) hire someone to build the website the way I want it
    b) modify an existing template

I have no knowledge of CSS, HTML, etc. My website wouldn't need much modification (I think) from a template except customizing the search options and content. Would this be something that I could learn to do in a relatively short period of time (say, 50 hours or so)?

Alternatively, how much would it cost to pay someone to built the website for me?

Sorry for the totally naive, totally newbie questions. Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for your advice!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are plenty of existing freebie scripts for dating websites.

This isn't so much editing an existing 'template' as using an existing 'script'.

You'll need a host, the script you want to run and a bit of patience.

I think 50 is plenty of time to get this sort of thing running.

Perhaps start by googling 'free dating website script' or similar.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Mal.

How does one go about modifying a free script? Is it possible to "import" one into Dreamweaver and then tweak it there?

Thanks so much!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

is it possible to edit an existing script. I mean is it legally allowed. I heard that only open source scripts are allowed to do so. Is it? Any idea about this issue?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was looking at open source scripts mentioned here on the forums. The problem is, being the absolute beginner that I am, I have no idea how to import them into Dreamweaver to edit them. Is there a tutorial or explanation of this somewhere?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by middlemarch View Post
    I was looking at open source scripts mentioned here on the forums. The problem is, being the absolute beginner that I am, I have no idea how to import them into Dreamweaver to edit them. Is there a tutorial or explanation of this somewhere?
    You mentioned that you don't have any experience with writing HTML or CSS. I'd suggest that it might be a stretch to think that you can make changes to a server-side script (such as one written in PHP, for example) and not run into trouble. It's possible for anyone to learn how to write and change PHP code, but this isn't how I would advise you begin.

If you have a fixed idea for the site you want, why not entertain the idea of paying a PHP programmer to do the technical heavy lifting for you? There are many successful business owners here on these forums who manage sites but are not very technical—they outsource much of the design and technical aspects of running the site to people who know what they are doing. That way you can focus on other aspects of the site, such as the content and promotion.

Just a thought.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    • Follow me on Twitter.
    • Read my blog.
    • Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would agree with matty's suggestion, PHP is nowhere near as "readable" as HTML and CSS (which at least uses plain english descriptions that can be fairly logically interpreted), for example in CSS it's fairly easy to understand what width: 100%; does, but with server-side scripting languages it's more inline with programming and uses stuff like regular expressions which at the best of times can be confusing if you don't know what your doing. If you don't want to hire someone else I recommend you simply keep a backup of every change you make in case something goes wonky along the line

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a site as you're talking about would be heavily interactive, which means lots of PHP, server-side programming, etc, as everyone has already noted. I think you should definitely consider hiring some muscle to do this properly.