SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which comes first? joomla or Building the site?

Bonjour from Wakefiled...

I have a basic website allready built which I edit in code but I would like to hand the admin role to someone whos does not need to understand HTML etc to edit pages.

So here's my question... Do you have to build the site with Joomla first or can you build it then add joomla.

Im worried that a CMS system like joomla will restrict me by using templates etc that clients wont want etc...

So just in case Ive confused any one reading this post my question is if you are using a CMS off the shelf solution does it control the design options etc right froom the beggining or can you fully build a site then add the CMS system.

Thinking ahead I would like to build basic web sites (static) for clients but empower them to edit content themselves.

Any insights welcome :-)
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would be hard to build a site by hand first then integrate CMS later. Most of the time it's CMS then working around it to get it to how you want your site to be like.

But yes I have seen sites with one part built from the ground up, then another part of it with a off-the-shelf CMS. I tell you it's crazy. Integration for the 2 in the admin control panel is almost impossible to do since each has it's own system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jimmy :-)

Another question which CMS system follows SEO best practice ie using sematic mark up. Thing is Ive checked the source code out for a few siytes build using CMS and I see v little use of sematic mark up ie H1 Tags H2 Tags etc..
    I have had a perfectly wonderful
    evening, but this wasn't it-
    Julius "GROUCHO" Marx - 1890-1977
    http://www.davidclick.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zygoma View Post
    Thanks Jimmy :-)

Another question which CMS system follows SEO best practice ie using sematic mark up. Thing is Ive checked the source code out for a few siytes build using CMS and I see v little use of sematic mark up ie H1 Tags H2 Tags etc..
    Probably not perfect yet, and it's going to be on a module by module basis, but Zikula does a pretty good job of using the tags as they should be used, and divs primarily for layout purposes.
    Halbrook Technologies - Web Hosting &
    Zikula Application Framework Services