User Tag List

Thread: Apache error?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Apache error?

Ok, I'm practicing php from the book build your own database driven website using php and mysql by Kevin Yank 4th edition, and every time I try to test the deletejoke/index.php code I get this error: An unhandled win32 exeption ocurred in httpd.exe [2832]<---(or some other number), what's going on?
    now, i just finished the asp.net book and i have visual web developer installed, but i uninstalled IIS.
    Is there any problem with apache or with my machine?
    any other example works, exept for this one.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems very strange that all the other code from the book works. Have you double-checked your code with the code that you can download from the book's website to be sure you haven't made any errors? Is your code validating OK? I'm working through the same book using Apache 2.0.63.200 and php 5.2.1.1 and I can confirm that the code on that page is fine. Are you using an old version of Apache?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ianacces View Post
    It seems very strange that all the other code from the book works. Have you double-checked your code with the code that you can download from the book's website to be sure you haven't made any errors? Is your code validating OK? I'm working through the same book using Apache 2.0.63.200 and php 5.2.1.1 and I can confirm that the code on that page is fine. Are you using an old version of Apache?
    ianacces:
    Thank you for your reply!!!
    Ok, I have double check the code, both manually and copy/paste from the book, and even tried to run the code from the code archive and still the same. I'm using Apache version (2.2.13) wich is listed as the best available version, and PHP version (5.3.0).
    I was developing asp.net for a website, reelgreetings, but once i finished with asp.net I uninstalled ISS, I still have Visual Web Developer 2008 installed.
    What could be wrong?
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Yahel Armster View Post
    ianacces:
    Thank you for your reply!!!
    Ok, I have double check the code, both manually and copy/paste from the book, and even tried to run the code from the code archive and still the same. I'm using Apache version (2.2.13) wich is listed as the best available version, and PHP version (5.3.0).
    I was developing asp.net for a website, reelgreetings, but once i finished with asp.net I uninstalled ISS, I still have Visual Web Developer 2008 installed.
    What could be wrong?
    Quick update...
    the exact message says like this:
    An unhandled win32 exception ocurred in httpd.exe[1892]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In visual studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.

Check the documentation index for 'Just-In-Time debugging, errors' for more information.

I tried to download apache version 2.2.11 (since httpd.exe refers to apache) but it's no longer available, only version 2.2.13 wich i'm using.
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Quick update...
    the exact message says like this:
    An unhandled win32 exception ocurred in httpd.exe[1892]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In visual studio, Just-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time.

Check the documentation index for 'Just-In-Time debugging, errors' for more information.

I tried to download apache version 2.2.11 (since httpd.exe refers to apache) but it's no longer available, only version 2.2.13 wich i'm using.
    I guess it's worthless after all, all the exercises starting from page 142 to the end of the book won't work, seems like apache can't handle this codes: array('something' => $row['something'] ... cause there's where it gives me the error... i will try with wamp and if it doesn't work then i'll give up developing php in my machine... sad... i like php more than asp.net...
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you checked the apache error and crash logs? - I've seen this same error while searching google yesterday and the person reporting it found a significant clue in their apache logs.

Failing that, do what I do.. use a different machine for each programming language (EG having VB and delphi installed on the same machine makes a mess). Not got the hardware? - Use virtual machines like I do. Use one per language and NEVER install another language developing software on the same machine. Seriously, virtual machines make life a LOT easier. Not only that but if you need to reinstall your main operating system you just backup the virtual machine with your other files, reinstall the OS and then carry on using the VM as normal with all the software settings and installations being unaffected.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tangoforce View Post
    Have you checked the apache error and crash logs? - I've seen this same error while searching google yesterday and the person reporting it found a significant clue in their apache logs.

Failing that, do what I do.. use a different machine for each programming language (EG having VB and delphi installed on the same machine makes a mess). Not got the hardware? - Use virtual machines like I do. Use one per language and NEVER install another language developing software on the same machine. Seriously, virtual machines make life a LOT easier. Not only that but if you need to reinstall your main operating system you just backup the virtual machine with your other files, reinstall the OS and then carry on using the VM as normal with all the software settings and installations being unaffected.
    Thank you tangoforce, turns out that installing wamp solved the issue, but somebody should check why mysql essentials 5.1.38 + apache 2.2.13 + php 5.2.11 don't work togheter!!! (or at least with my machine...!!! ha!), still i will use a virtual machine as you sugested for each language.
    You made my day!!!
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help!

I only stumbled upon the benefits of using VMs a few years back purely by accident. It was when my webhost of the time mentioned moving virtual VPS's from one server to another and the idea fascinated me... you could move an entire OS to another physical machine, preserve its settings and software and even keep backups of it in case it crashed. Then a friend told me about VMWare and how it could pretty much run any operating system like windows, unix, linux etc. My world changed that day

Since then I've always done my coding in VMs. I'll point out though that sometimes mouse emulation can be a bit slow using vmware. What I did was to install my OS as a VM and then access it via remote desktop. No mouse delay and it saved me having to CTRL + ALT to get out all the time. Far easier and as a bonus you can pause the operating system and then resume it the next day just like many download programs

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add..

Apache 2 in general is still a relatively new server along with mysql5 and php5. There are still bugs here and there which can crash it and cause unforeseen problems for the end user.

I personally still use apache 1.3, mysql4 and php4 as my wamp server at home. It's more reliable and still has some of the old mods which aren't available for apache 2.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version of Windows are you on?
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    What version of Windows are you on?
    Windows XP SP3 version 2008 old Pentium 4 processor at 2.40 GHZ with 2 GB of ram.
    The Hec-meister

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like it's a certain combination or combinations of mysqli and php which don't fully work with each other.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SpacePhoenix View Post
    It seems like it's a certain combination or combinations of mysqli and php which don't fully work with each other.
    Ya, seems like that, just like tangoforce said, apache 2 is a relatively new server, and the combinations of new php and mysql might have caused some bugs, thank you SpacePhoenix!
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Ya, seems like that, just like tangoforce said, apache 2 is a relatively new server, and the combinations of new php and mysql might have caused some bugs, thank you SpacePhoenix!
    Ya, Mr. Kevin Yank already had that in mind, as he written in the typos section of the book, which says as follows:
    "p.12 Installing PHP
    Although this book provides download and installation instructions for PHP 5.2, the newly-released (at the time of this writing) PHP 5.3 includes some new download options that aren’t covered in the book.

There are four different versions of PHP 5.3. for Windows: VC6 Non Thread Safe, VC6 Thread Safe, VC9 Non Thread Safe, and VC9 Thread Safe. Talk about confusing!

First of all, you definitely want a Thread Safe version of PHP. The Non Thread Safe versions are not suitable for use as a plugin for Apache.

Secondly, assuming you will install (or have already installed) a version of the Apache HTTP Server from httpd.apache.org (see page 13), you will need the VC6 version of PHP.

In short, to follow the instructions in this book, you need the VC6 Thread Safe version of PHP 5.3 for Windows."

Should have read that before installing according to the book...
    The Hec-meister

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I skipped ahead and installed phpMyAdmin because I'm doing other projects and it would not let me log in. Browser stalled and an MS message would tell me Apache has a problem and needs to close ect. I just installed the VC6 Thread Safe version of PHP 5.3 for Windows and that's fixed the problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought I'd add that I encountered a similar error at exactly the same point in the book; in my case I got a dialog telling me the Apache server had crashed. However, I had not installed PHP 5.3; I had followed the directions in the book and installed the recommended version of PHP 5.2. Downloading and setting up PHP 5.3 as described at sitepoint dot com/books/phpmysql4/errata.php fixed the problem and allowed me to proceed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638386

I followed the the book's downloads as written, so php 5.2. Quite how I fixed it isn't really clear to me because I did delete 5.2 and download 5.3 but it didn't work straight away.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocberry View Post
    I had the same problem

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638386

I followed the the book's downloads as written, so php 5.2. Quite how I fixed it isn't really clear to me because I did delete 5.2 and download 5.3 but it didn't work straight away.
    Seems like we all had the same problem with php 5.3. Ok, if you are working with php 5.3 and already deleted php 5.2 you might have changed the wrong .ini file, as it says in the book, instead of going to the typos section and looking at this correction:

"p.42 2nd code block
    As of PHP 5.3, the file you want to duplicate is called php.ini-development, not php.ini-dist. So the last line of code should be:

cp php.ini-development php.ini"

That should be the error.
    The Hec-meister

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but you misunderstand, I don't have a problem now.