User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Click here...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankfully, there are many people who understand 'click here' links and buy services or products online...
    Daniel, Helpdesk Leader
    Hosting24.com Web Hosting - First class web hosting services.
    Reseller Hosting - Provide unlimited disk space and bandwidth

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    Thankfully, there are many people who understand 'click here' links and buy services or products online...
    That is besides the point, thankfully most people can walk but would you deny someone access to a brick and mortar store on the basis that they are wheelchair bound? The fact of the matter is that by using "click here" you are actively and deliberately discriminating against the disabled, whether it be visually impaired users who get links read out to them (so won't recieve where the link goes to), whether it be someone who is cognitively disabled (such as an attention deficit disorder, inability to comprehend information or simply someone who does not understand how the web works) or even if it's someone who suffers from a lack of understanding (such as young children or an elderly person with alzhiemers / dementia) you are effectively stating that the only people you consider important are those who can browse the web at the highest and most comprehensive level, which is a rather ignorant perspective to take if you don't mind me saying. I agree with felgall that I tend to avoid clicking on any link which doesnt properly prefix what the contents hold, it's a sign that the author is blind linking because either they have a serious lack of consideration for their audiance or are just nieve enough to think that everyone who browses the web does so like themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hosting24 View Post
    Yes. Who said no-one is clicking on 'click here' links though? Or that no-one understands 'click here'? You seem to be looking at this from a fairly narrow perspective, and ignoring many of the valid points being made.

I can understand that this seems like not much of a big deal on the surface. But when you look into it, is it wise to ignore the accessibility consequences as Alex and others have said, not to mention SEO etc?

But for argument's sake, let's put all that aside (as you seem curiously unconcerned with it) and come back to my original point in this thread, which is very simple: is 'click here' a better way to get people clicking on links, as opposed to more meaningful anchor text? Does the 'click here' instruction make people more likely to click on it?

Some people I work with seem to think so. I disagree. I believe it is costing us on many fronts, where more meaningful anchor text would help. Most people here also disagree, for reasons covered (I recommend reading them). If someone knows of a study that contradicts this, it would be interesting to hear about it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe you should conduct some a/b testing with parts of your site to prove it.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raena View Post
    Maybe you should conduct some a/b testing with parts of your site to prove it.
    Well if he did manage to disprove the "click here" rule he would be disproving years of already existing unbiased independant usability research and it would pretty much force the web design community to not only alter WCAG but also to totally rethink sociological and psychological triggers in calls to action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think raena means that if I can show our marketing folk that their links get clicked on just as much or more when using something better than 'click here' they'll be more likely to come around.

It's a fair point. After all, they do feel our audience is somehow different, and would be particularly more likely to click on 'click here'. So they may be more inclined to listen if I can prove it with their own content.

So I think it's a good suggestion. I might do that if I don't have any more luck talking them into it.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qazpoc View Post
    I think raena means that if I can show our marketing folk that their links get clicked on just as much or more when using something better than 'click here' they'll be more likely to come around.

It's a fair point. After all, they do feel our audience is somehow different, and would be particularly more likely to click on 'click here'. So they may be more inclined to listen if I can prove it with their own content.

So I think it's a good suggestion. I might do that if I don't have any more luck talking them into it.
    That's exactly what I meant. I do confess I found it really hard to actually come up with some proof of click here not actually working as well as other options in terms of bare clickthrough. Note that this is not the same as accessibility and usability.

We all know it's a bad idea for other reasons, but anybody with any studies about effectiveness should definitely come forward
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raena View Post
    We all know it's a bad idea for other reasons, but anybody with any studies about effectiveness should definitely come forward
    Jakob Nielsen seems to have plenty of that sort of information in his books. My understanding is that all the statistical information that he quotes was properly obtained through properly set up user accessibility testing. I do have one or two of his books buried in the pile of computer books that I have - I'll have to look and see if I can find those books from in amongst the hundreds of others (I need more space for computer books so as to store them properly).

I do know that About Inc told me to never use "click here" for any of the links I place in any of the articles that I write for them and to use text more descriptive of where the link goes instead since their own studies have shown "click here" to be ineffective.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by qazpoc View Post
    I'm in an environment where I'm all but ordered to use phrases like 'click here' for link text. I hate it. SEO, accessibility, etc.

But all my arguments against it are met with "our users aren't web savvy enough, and studies show that using 'click here' leads to more click-throughs."
    That kind of nonsense is usually peddled by people who have designed rubbish websites.

A well-designed website will make links and action buttons sufficiently clear that they don't need "click here" because it will be blindingly obvious, even to users who aren't web savvy, that it is where they need to click. Key points to remember are that people expect links to be underlined and in a different colour to general text. Use of borders and shading to draw people's eyes towards the links/buttons can be effective. Further off-setting the links with imagery and background colours can work well, but you have to be careful not to overdo it to the extent where people don't connect the link with the surrounding content, and skip straight past it.

The problems with using "click here" as the link text are well documented, but primarily are that having a link out of context makes it harder for people to see what it relates to. A lot of people scan and skim read pages, looking for headings, links and actions. A link that says "click here" gives no 'information scent' so they are less likely to follow it than one that clearly says where it goes to. The problem is exacerbated for people using assistive technology, who will often call up a list of all links on the page - if all the list has is "click here", "click here", "click here" all the way down, that is completely meaningless. A further downside, if the link is a standard hyperlink to a page, rather than activating a process, is that search engines are less likely to index the destination page for relevant text.

(I don't worry too much about the phrase "click here" being offensive, insulting or inappropriate to people who don't or can't use a mouse - it's a phrase that has come to mean 'activate this link or button', everybody knows what it means and it's a convenient descriptive phrase)

It's generally considered an acceptable compromise to include "click here" in the link, as long as you also include the real call to action or destination in the link text. It is completely unnecessary, but can be a comfort to the idiots in manglement who don't know any better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Came across this report on web usability for seniors from the Nielson Norman Group. Piqued my curiosity, as the argument these marketing folk throw at me is that our users are older.

A sample page also shows some interesting comments about seniors not understanding certain things we take for granted on the web.

If I had $125 spare I'd buy the whole report to see if 'click here' is mentioned.