SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best CMS for tech-challenged clients

I'm wanting to begin working with a CMS for a number of my small clients--many of which want to be able to add to and update their own sites but are unwilling to sit though hours of training in order to do it.

So my quest is to find, first and foremost, a CMS which is extremely easy for clients to update their own content. WYSIWYG is important. Simple. Fast. Easy. (You get the idea) I want to be able to sit down with a client and in 10 minutes show them how easy it will be for them to update their own site.

From my end, I'm a graphic designer and need the CMS to be flexible enough so I can make sites which don't look like an out-of-the-box CMS. Template flexibility is important. I want each site to look custom. I'm not the most savvy of techies myself.

Other than that, other features which would be nice are:
    Lots of modules to add functionality
    MySQL/PHP-based

I'm willing to pay for such a beast but free is always good.

Suggestions?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say WordPress will do what you want. It's easy to template, has lots of plugins to add functionality and has a fairly straightforward admin area to allow clients to update their site. Even easier if they're only using "Pages" rather than "Posts".
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks. I'll look into it. A few years back, I did work with WordPress but it seemed to me, at the time, to be more for blogging.

Anyone work with Silverstripe or FROG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also prefer to go with Wordpress.. Joomla is also good but it is having much advanced functionalities..

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to feel the same way about word press, but have come to love it since they started allowing you to create "pages" instead of blog posts, and I find it a great CMS for me and my clients.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravedesigns View Post
    I used to feel the same way about word press, but have come to love it since they started allowing you to create "pages" instead of blog posts, and I find it a great CMS for me and my clients.

Steve
    don't you find it a bit awkward that SearchEngines see your site as blog rather than normal site ?