User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Worldbuilder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need to make collapsible lists from text links

Hi everyone!

Long time, no see. Long story short... Had a website. It was crapola. So we put together a new one! We are using a CMS called "Mambo Schools", which essentially nothing more then Joomla with some school-specific features/modules.

Here's what I need to do. Have a look at an old page which had collapsible lists of information. http://chrisbartlett.net/LFDCS/facultystaff.html

On there, for example, look at Sonia Miller. If you click on that, you get a bulleted list of her qualifications.

That's what we want (of something similarly effective).

Now, have a look at the new version of that same page: http://www.lfdcs.org/index.php?optio...d=29&Itemid=38

Basically, I copied & pasted the old code (into the WYSIWYG Editor of Joomla), but that didn't work 100%. I had to remove the links because they didn't work.

So what I need to know is what is the solution here? I have removed the hyperlinks to the lists but I have KEPT the actual lists in the code. They just don't show up on the new page (for reasons I don't really understand, but it's not important).

Can someone help me out with this? I'm a little rusty at all this coding stuff, but I'm sure I can grasp it again pretty quickly with some help from you gurus.

Thanks!

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you include the javascript from the head of the document? That javascript actually controls the hiding and revealing of the list.

You probably can't edit stuff inside the <head></head> of the document using Joomla's WYSIWYG editor, so you'd need to add it directly to the template.

Hope that helps.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's the issue. I really have no way to include JS in the <head>. If there's no other way, I'll attempt that route. But is there ANY other way?

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Try putting the javascript in the body of the document. Does your WYSIWYG editor allow you to edit the source code directly? Most of them have a switch between Code view and WYSIWYG view.

So, anyway, do you not personally have access to edit the template? How about any of the other files on the site? You could paste the javascript into one of the existing .js files that is already referenced in the head of the document.

K
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I can edit source code in the WYSIWYG editor. Will it work in the body, you think?

I have access to the Joomla files, but don't know much about Joomla and what files I'd need to play with. Could I do it all? Sure. But it'sd be an awful lot of work for something so minor, and I'm trying to find a more effective way, that's all.