User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Image Uploading Solution

Hey Everyone,

I am thinking about running a new business, designing websites for tradespeople in the UK. As this is not something I have done before however I have encountered a problem.

I was wondering what the best method is for my potential company to allow clients to send me images to include on their website?

Obviously written content can be typed in something like word and then emailed and transferred but how can I create an easy process that allows clients to send me images without having them send me a CD in the post that I then later return?

I would be really grateful for any suggestions here or any knowledge of companies that provide a image file hosting service or something like that.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not use a image upload script on your site its just easy to integrate
    If they were sending from email then it is already their image attachments.If they were having more images then try to give temporary your host cpanel or ftp username etc
    but i suggest you should use upload script that would be better even than using other file sharing hosts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Tom

Welcome to the forum.

I've only ever had clients email me their pics or put them on CD (if they're very high res, or many of them).

The thing is, most clients want to get you the images in the way that is easiest for them, which is usually email because that's what they're familiar with.

If they have to mess around with browsing, attaching and uploading each image, then they will probably lose patience.

Was there a good reason why you're not looking to request/accept images by email?

Cheers
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kish View Post
    Was there a good reason why you're not looking to request/accept images by email?
    See that is what I was wondering, email is by far the best way to allow client's to send you the details of their proposals (or any required bits and pieces you need), everyone has an email account, even beginners know how to attach files (generally) and it's more friendly using a method they understand rather than introducing them to a new system. There are client management systems out there like Basecamp but it has a high learning curve.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

Thank you to all of you for your response to my post. In respect of why I wouldn't want to accept emails, I have no reason to not accept them lol. I just thought that perhaps many web design companies may provide access to their Servers or something so that clients could upload images.

I think I will stick with your suggestions then and just have people email me image files.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're just starting up in the business, then one lesson you should learn early is to never over-engineer a solution. Keep things as simple as possible - it will make your life easier!

Good luck with it all :-)
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go back to the basics of image uploading. It is by far the more appropriate and you will see its easier than you thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they already have an existing website then just get FTP access to their accounts and download the images from there.

Gmail allows large attachments of 6mb or something like that....

For larger emails you could try http://www.yousendit.com which used to be free.... imagine if you search there will be other free alternatives for emailing large files.
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!

Visible Ninja bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newviewit View Post
    Gmail allows large attachments of 6mb or something like that....
    I believe that Gmail has increased this to 25mb.
    TAKE A WALK OUTSIDE YOUR MIND.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd just send it in an email.

Integrating a private image hosting section on your website is an idea too. I suggest making sure it's pretty locked down on security though; make sure there's an HTACCESS file in your uploads directory that prevents code from executing to avoid intrusions (like HTML/HTM/PHP/PHP4/PHP5/PL/ etc etc)
    Scumlabs.com - Free flash games
    Play Super Mario Flash!
    Play Raiden X!