SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ultimate mySQL/web host horror story is ruining my site...please help!!!

okay here's my problem....

my webhost, for reasons that befuddle me, got rid of myPHPadmin and replaced it with mySQLtool. I'm not very familiar with mySQL syntax but with myPHPadmin, I could find plenty of resources online that showed me how to backup/restore my mySQL database. Now that I have to use the mySQLtool interface to administer my database, I'm hosed. There is nothing online that shows how to backup/restore mySQL databases using this and my host doesn't even know.

I can't switch hosts just yet because I need to backup my database (which I can't figure out how to do). I've been to sites that show the mySQL syntax that you use to backup but this is all greek to me. Since my hosts have recently changed all of their servers, they've screwed up all of their clients' sites and they are too overwhelmed in tech support to be of any use.

So can anyone shed some light on backing up and restoring mySQL databases using mySQLtool or help me find a solution so that I can backup and switch hosts?

I can't even get through to tech support to get them to activate SSHTelnet on my site so Telnet isn't even an option.

please help me.

faktur

morphine for a wooden leg randem's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest you download and install mysql locally, so you can play with it a little to get used to how you use it.

Once you understand how it works and what you want to accomplish, you could easily perform your backups by sending system() calls to mysql by way of PHP.
    eg:
    <?php
    system('mysqldump mydatabase /home/mysite/');
    ?>

You would most likely need to specify your username, password, and any file delimiters in addition to that. This is easily done by creating a custom my.cnf file and passing the file's path to the mysqldump command.

I'm certain that there are other ways as well, perhaps using your mySQLtool. I'm just offering one suggestion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for your help radom.

my host backed-up my site but instead of backing up into a .sql file, I have all of the inner binary files. I'm just not fluent enough in mySQL syntax to know what to do with this (without myPHPadmin I am stuck).

Would I have to have the server admin, with root access, restore these files? Can they be restored using myPHPadmin on another host? The file extensions are .MYD, .MYI, .frm.

I'm downloading mySQl and going through it. I run a personal site for fun and have no time for deep webmastering skills (to learn them anyway). Hopefully someone here or a future host can help me.

(arggghhhhhh)

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    phpMyAdmin is a PHP script, you can install it yourself
    http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpMyAdmin/

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature