SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making first webpage

I would like to learn how to make websites for companies, is there a website or some training i can get?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes...there is tons of websites that can give you the basics, but if your are really looking to make sites for companies..you really might be looking to take some classes..
    Affordable Hosting Q1 Hosting

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.

As Q1 mentioned - there are loads of tutorial sites out there. A couple of good ones are:

http://www.htmldog.com/
    http://www.cssbasics.com/

You should try to get a good grip of hand-coding using HTML and CSS to style the contents of the page.

Many people new to web design seem to believe that it's purely a case of buying a copy of Dreamweaver - it's not. You will be better off using a freebie HTML editor such as PSPad or Crimson Editor which will allow you a great deal of control over the code without being a huge programme that you need to spend time learning how to use rather than learning how to code. Don't rely on WYSIWYG editors such as Dreamweaver, Expressions or FrontPage - they'll try to do what you want them to - but they usually do it poorly with bloated, invalid coding. Once you know what you're doing you can use them if you really want to (by that time you'll be able to correct their inaccuracies - but by that time you may well not bother with them anyway).

Also - be wary of Web Design classes - many are teaching outdated methods of design (such as table layouts) and many are taught by people who have never actually done the job in the "real world".
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NEVER1 View Post
    I would like to learn how to make websites for companies, is there a website or some training i can get?
    As Tailslide said, you really need to learn the basic languages for the web (HTML and CSS) though of course there is much more to web design than coding a couple of languages, theres stuff like design theory, creating graphics, marketing, accessibility, usability and all sorts of goodies involved. If you want to make a business website I would highly advise against the use of WYSIWYG editors like FrontPage which pretty much rely on drag and drop functionality (for the reasons given by Tailslide), making a website for a business is about creating something that looks and functions professionally and while almost anyone can build a website, most people don't have the background knolwedge to do it professionally. However don't let that discourage you, while getting educated or trained isn't all it's cracked up to be in colleges or through online courses (out of date knowledge) there are fantastic books out there which will equip you with the knowledge you need to get going.

You will probably need a good amount of time as creating websites for businesses is a full time occupation (if you want to be seen as a professional) and keeping your knowledge up-to-date is highly important. If you would like some good books to get you going then I would recommend you have a look round and see what's out there, you probably should avoid the dummies books (as their not really that good for web languages) but the following are a few I recommend...

HTML books:
    • Designing with Web Standards
    • Web Standards Solutions
    • Bulletproof Web Design
    • HTML Mastery

CSS books:
    • CSS Mastery
    • Eric Meyer on CSS
    • More Eric Meyer on CSS

Other books:
    • Head First HTML & CSS
    • DOM Scripting (JavaScript)
    • Hot Text (Content writing)
    • Designing Web Usability (Usability)
    • Don't Make Me Think! (Usability)

...and of course theres lots of good SitePoint books too! You don't need to buy them all, but what you really need is a good book on HTML and CSS (or one for each), one on JavaScript (pretty much a requirement these days) and getting something on usability (what makes good design) would be very useful to help guide you on what a website needs too! Also theres plenty of good websites out there to assist you, the SitePoint References are a great overview of all the HTML and CSS concepts (click the reference button in the navigation bar at the top of the page), it also has some good examples too. Hope some of this is helpful!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    starting at sitepoint to get an idea on site building is a good point.... amazon also lists great books.... but best thing I can suggest, find friends that can help you! there is no better way to bounce ideas, problems with friends in the business.
    Regards,
    Zizo Ahmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    learning basic html css knowlege. and then you'd better find some free template to revise for your needs first

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    w3schools is the best place to start

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W3Schools is a free and very nice website.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    W3Schools hasn't been updated in ages, it's clearly out-of-date and poorly maintained, basically it's no longer a very good website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use wordpress - and go daddy. I think if you are starting out thats the best path to take. Good luck !

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the replies are about coding. But you should know that the design of a web site is also important, and it's not as easy as it seems to create a great looking web site. You should consider learning about color theory, the grid system, and why not, learn to use a graphics program like Photoshop, or Gimp.