SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Contacting Adobe

So who do I contact when I need to ask Adobe a question about my software license? It seems that its impossible to contact Adobe themself about anything. I've looked on the Adobe website and cannot find any method to email them. The only thing I can find are a few phone numbers which are completely useless.

I have a simple 30 second question to ask, and tried to contact them via telephone on 3 different days. The first day I was on hold for 60 mins, the second day I was on hold for 45 minuets, and the third day I was on hold for 2.5 hours before I hung up. Basically, I'm about to go throw up.

I'm seriously thinking about not buying any of their products because they don't have a contact method for their company. If they don't even have a method of contact that is usuable, I'm asuming that its a small company with garbage products. Just that people have recommended me to their Photoshop program a few times. It's looking liket this is a one man show over there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised that Adobe didn't reach you back if you interested in buying their product. Did you try establishing contact with the Adobe forum members about your problems?
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a customer support portal , which might be another method worth trying. It's not direct email, more a ticketing system. Or you can try http://www.adobe.com/support/inquiry.html
    Shayne Tilley

My slightly left of center thoughts on
    marketing, business and life in general.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDK, I will try some of the other methods you suggested. They never contacted me about anything. I have been pointed to using Photoshop for some designs. I've never used that product before and it is very expensive. So I wanted to talk to them before I bought it.

I tried that inquire form a week ago but never heard anything back. Guess I can try again...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears that I am not the only person with this issue. There are a lot of people with the same complaints if you read the comments on their webiste. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/100/1003400.html#ionComHeading

It appears their not very good at providing responses, but IDK because I've never dealt with this company before.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didn't you have to pay to call them? I think that was the case... and the reason I've never called. You can try to post your question if it is not too personal and we'll see if we can answer... even if we are not Adobe.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Didn't you have to pay to call them? I think that was the case... and the reason I've never called.
    Wow, so you have to pay in order to sit on the phone for 2 hours? They have top-notch support.

No my question was about the license. I was recommended to use Photoshop and I've never used it. I was told I can get Photoshop CS4 Extended from my college for $100.00. But they told me that I would need to upgrade to a regular license before I could use it to make real website graphics.

I wanted to know if the copy I bought would qualify me for the upgade version when I go to the store, or if I would have to by the full version. I'm saving a lot of money now because the full version is $999.99 but I think the money I already spend on the version from school should be deducted from that cost. Otherwise its not a discount at all, its an overcharge. I will end up paying $100.00 more for it then I would if I just went and bought the full version now.

But I can't find anything on their website. My school doesn't even know if the version they give me is a academic version or if its a retail version. They said it does the same thing as the retail version but if its labled as academic it might not qualify me for an upgrade.

If I go to the store and buy the upgrade version, and it doesn't work I can't take it back and I'm out $700.

I don't want to go about wasting all my money because they don't answer the phone. So I'm not buying any of their stuff.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zeide View Post
    Wow, so you have to pay in order to sit on the phone for 2 hours? They have top-notch support.

No my question was about the license. I was recommended to use Photoshop and I've never used it. I was told I can get Photoshop CS4 Extended from my college for $100.00. But they told me that I would need to upgrade to a regular license before I could use it to make real website graphics.

I wanted to know if the copy I bought would qualify me for the upgade version when I go to the store, or if I would have to by the full version. I'm saving a lot of money now because the full version is $999.99 but I think the money I already spend on the version from school should be deducted from that cost. Otherwise its not a discount at all, its an overcharge. I will end up paying $100.00 more for it then I would if I just went and bought the full version now.

But I can't find anything on their website. My school doesn't even know if the version they give me is a academic version or if its a retail version. They said it does the same thing as the retail version but if its labled as academic it might not qualify me for an upgrade.

If I go to the store and buy the upgrade version, and it doesn't work I can't take it back and I'm out $700.

I don't want to go about wasting all my money because they don't answer the phone. So I'm not buying any of their stuff.

Zeide,

I may be able to help you out a little as I do some work with Adobe on the Student Editions (not to be confused with Academic versions).

Academic versions are purchased and volume licensed through schools. The software is the same as full versions, but restrictions vary. Upgrades can depend on your school's licensing. As such, your school should be able to answer those questions for you.

Now as a higher ed student, you do have a different option. You can individually purchase a Creative Suite 4 Student edition at up to 80 percent off retail pro versions. Again, this software is functionally identical to the pro commercial version. Since you are in North America, you can also use it commercially.

And in reference to your main issue, you can upgrade a Student Edition post graduation to a later full commercial version when it comes out for only the upgrade price.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot for the reply. I had a problem like this with Microsoft once before. I got a version of Visual Studio that said "Academic" and when I tried to upgrade, the installation didn't work. It said my Academic version didn't qualify for the upgrade.

I know that they are two different companies, but I didn't want to get into the same problem again. I cannot afford to waste money.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might not be aware, but there are some free options, namely The Gimp and Paint.NET. They might fulfil your needs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    You might not be aware, but there are some free options, namely The Gimp and Paint.NET. They might fulfil your needs.
    Yea, but the only problem is that I've been told almost all professional web developers use Photoshop, so in that case. I would not be able to open or modify very many websites. Because most of the images will be in Photoshop format.

Yes, it says that GIMP and those can read Photoshop files, but that's crap because I think its the PSD format, and I've tried those many times in the past with GIMP. It never works. I always get an unsupported or copyright features error.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine web developer that does not have copy of Photoshop on his work computer.
    CUBE SCRIPTS MEDIA
    REAL ESTATE SCRIPT 2.0 | Software for Real Estate Agencies

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    See? We were faster... I think that Adobe should pay us because we're doing his support work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomovuk View Post
    I can't imagine web developer that does not have copy of Photoshop on his work computer.
    Except this program is very hard to learn how to use and I haven't had much luck finding any useful tutorials on it. Sure there are a lot out there but none of them have helped me much. Most are not for beginners. They say they are, but they don't explain stuff. They would say use the Graident tool or something, not bothering to tell you that its hidden under the paint bucket. I spent 3 hours looking for that damn thing.

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are thousands... but probably you would need an online course. I learned with the official books from the library (and that was free for me)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the problem, there are too many. But I can't find any that are usefull for me. They are all tutorials about how to do this or that, and it makes no since when you don't even know how to use the program. Photoshop is not easy to learn.

I need stuff that will go through making an entire web page layout of tabs, or buttons, and then slicing the images up so they really work.

I found several, one said "Use the pencil tool to make a reflective mark across the entire button." OK, I found the pencil tool... now how the heck do I make a reflective mark, and add the glowing effects. They don't bother explaining any of that.

I've looked for books as well from the library, but didn't find anything that looked like it would be usefull. 99% of what I found was just showing you how to modify images, remove red eye, make it look old or black and white, who cares about that crap.. I need to learn how to make images. But I haven't found any books like that.

I use another paint program now, it works fine but it can't read Photoshop, and photoshop doesn't even reconize its format. So I cannot even work with other designers.

Lot of tutorials but if I can't put them into a context they are useless to me. So I know how to remove red eye,... how does that help me make a web page?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is that you buy the official book for beginners more than following tutorials on the internet. It helps a lot.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find anything on Amazon called "Official Book For Beginners". Do you have a link to it so I can check it out?

Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sure...in Spanish!

The thing is that in my country only one company is allowed to publish Adobe Official books. The name doesn't include the "official" word in the title, but they know that this company is the only publisher.

I would think that Adobe.com would have information about their books.

If my memory serves me well, I think that O'Reilly are responsible for publishing the official books in English.

I can give you the names of the writers:

Laurie Ulrich Fuller and Robert C. Fuller (that's for the beginners book for CS3)
    Lesa Snider King (beginners book for CS4)
    Ben Wilmore (for the advanced version for CS3)
    Martin Evening (official book photoshop for photographers CS3)

I can give you more names... I have quite a few books about photoshop.