SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Inserting a Hyperlink

http://books.google.com/books?id=cn0M3BekNDgC&dq=the+tempest&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=r4Kk2lbApB&sig=gV07NmOljqnq8c-4THQbqEi0-mM&hl=en&ei=0IW2Su-jJorANZOxzdoO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Hi, I am working on an assignment for class. We are making a sample web page about The Tempest. I have the entire assignment completed. The last thing I had to do was add some links to the web page where I got the content from. Also, the entire web page must validate as Transitional.

The problem is that when I insert the following link into my web page, the validator fails 63 times on this link. The rest of the document is 100% correct. I'm not sure why I cannot include this link in my web page.

It leads to a book that I used to get some content for the website. So it needs to be included in my assignment.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The '&' character has special meaning in HTML. It signals the beginning of a named entity reference (e.g.,  ) or a numeric character reference (e.g.,  ).

Therefore it must be escaped as & when it's supposed to appear literally in the content or in attribute values. (The exceptions are the script and style elements in HTML – but not in XHTML.)

So you just need to replace every occurrence of '&' with & in your URL.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alternatively, shorten such long links with a URL from bit.ly or tinyurl.com
    It will be a lot easier, and lessen code bloat.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also there is a space in your URL which will cause problems, note the below:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=cn0M3BekNDgC&dq=the+tempest&printsec=frontcover&source=bl&ots=r4Kk2lb ApB&sig=gV07NmOljqnq8c-4THQbqEi0-mM&hl=en&ei=0IW2Su-jJorANZOxzdoO&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9#v=onepage&q=&f=false