SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to SitePoint and PHP forum

Hi, my name is Amy and I'm new to SitePoint and the PHP forum!

(Although I have been on the CSS forum and have made lots of freinds over there!)

I'm in a real predicament...

I have been out of work for 14 months and will be bankrupt in the next 30-40 days. In an attempt to get some $$$ coming in, I'm trying to start a side business doing professional seminars, but first need to build a website to register people.

I have a solid programming background, but am still new to PHP/MySQL and web-based solutions, and could really use some HELP so I don't end up out on the street in October!!

Most of my site is designed, and so now I just need help "connecting the dots" and figuring out how to do things on the web since I'm used to working in the Client-Server world.

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone would take me under their wing and help me make some progress on this monumental task! *sigh*

(Sorry for the "sob story" but I am really on the brink of financial ruin and am desperately trying to get this website done.)

Any help that people can offer would be great!

I'll be posting lots of questions in the near future, so you've been forewarned!

Thanks,

Amy

P.S. I'd like to learn how to do this myself versus someone just sending me code. My desire to learn is genuine.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amy, welcome to the PHP sub-forum. Sorry to hear that you've been out of work for so long but it sounds like you have a plan, which is always good.

With regards to asking questions just ask away: we're a friendly bunch for the most part and there will always be people ready to pounce on your questions with their own two cents. As for nuzzling under someone's wing, there may be some kind individual willing to let you hang out under their appendage or more likely we could form some kind of collective feathery forelimb to ease the burden.
    Salathe
    Software Developer and PHP Manual Author.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hi Amy, glad you made the leap across here
    As Salathe said, you will get all the help you need to get up and running here and we are all friendly. You might find yourself with many mentors!

Just ask away
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome.

You'd probably best kick off by telling us what programming experience you have had, be as specific as you can - it helps a lot when we know what level to pitch answers at.

Read the "Read before you post" sticky at the top of this forum too, short explicit questions tend to get answers (and a wider variety of them) a lot faster than people having to wade through reams of html - if someone needs more details they will ask you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salathe View Post
    Hi Amy, welcome to the PHP sub-forum.
    Thank you. Glad to be here!

Sorry to hear that you've been out of work for so long but it sounds like you have a plan, which is always good.
    Yah, not sure where you are, but things are devastating here where I live.

Let's hope my "plan" is enough to save my rear-end?!

With regards to asking questions just ask away: we're a friendly bunch for the most part and there will always be people ready to pounce on your questions with their own two cents.
    Just as long as they don't pounce on me! I know in the U.S., the Internet has really turned ugly in the past 5-8 years. There is so much fighting and nastiness across usergroups that it is unbelievable. (Why, just this weekend, a sports team I follow lost in the final minute. On the usergroup that followed, people were making incredible posts from "I want to slit my wrists" - quite literally - to "I hate you guys and never coming back" to generally horrible, nasty, hateful attacks on fellow members over what?! A dumb game?! Lots of hurt and hatred and fighting for no good. *sigh*)

That is what I like most about SitePoint, so far. The People At least in the CSS forum, everyone seems so genuinely caring, and very down-to-earth and try to help if they can. Pleasant change.

That is how it used to be here online in the U.S. Nice to see one "classy" forum left!

As for nuzzling under someone's wing, there may be some kind individual willing to let you hang out under their appendage or more likely we could form some kind of collective feathery forelimb to ease the burden.
    Ha ha.

Yah, all I meant was that it would be nice to have a few people know my "story" (and what I'm trying to do) so that they can better help me out during this life-or-death project of mine?!

That is another BIG difference on the Internet - at least in the U.S. - over the last 5-8 years... It used to be you had real friends and people knew you by name. That is crucial when you are providing tech-help. Otherwise you spend 95% of your time RE-EXPLAINING things.

So, that is really what I was hinting at when I said "take me under your wing"... Just a handful of people that know me, my site, and what I'm trying to do that my questions CAN BE focused and to the point.

Less drama... More results... That is the end goal!!

Anyways, thank you for the friendly welcome!!

Look forward to getting to know all of you and even maybe helping others out as I get better.

Thanks,

Amy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spikeZ View Post
    Hi Amy, glad you made the leap across here
    I'm a bit wet, but glad to be on better shores!

As Salathe said, you will get all the help you need to get up and running here
    Well, the help is definitely welcome!!

Like I said, I'm not looking for someone to do the thinking or work for me. But I desperately do need help to put all of the pieces together and make things work.

and we are all friendly.
    That is good!

One of my #1 pet peeves at this *former* U.S. site I used to frequent since 1999 - beyond the constant attacks and fighting - is the famous "I don't know why you'd want to do it that way?!"

People who are open-minded, think out-of-the-box, and can debate but not attack make the world better for both of us!

You might find yourself with many mentors!
    Not to brag, but one of the reasons I'm so smart is because I have spent most of my life surrounding myself with people who are SMARTER than me!!

I'm never to proud to learn something new.

And I love to contribute and help others, however, this time - I'm the one who needs help!

Just ask away
    Thanks! Well, today I will busy busy getting a humongous cash advance off the credit card and busy all day paying bills and strategizing how to stretch out my money for maybe 30 more days until I *hopefully* get this site done and get my seminars going?!

As soon as I'm done with bills and mail today, I'll start posting lots of questions.

Side Note: You know I spent all summer reading boks on PHP. MySQL and lots on OOP!! I wish I would have spent more time on XHTML and CSS and just getting things going. Then again, who woulda thunk that 14+ months later and now after labor Day I'd still be unemployed. I sorta took too much time studying this summer since I was 8sure* I'd have a job by September 1. Well, that didn't happen. Anyways, I have read LOTS of "theory", but two problems. 1.) It was just theory, and 2.) I think I have forgotten lots of it! Anyways, most of my web-forms are done thanks to the awesome guys and gals over at the SitePoint CSS forum, so now I think I am just about ready to right some back-end server logic and get this baby done!!!

Okay, I gotta check mail, go to the bank, beg my creditors, and get some payments in the mail before 5:00 p.m.

Be back later!!

Thanks,

Amy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cups View Post
    Hi and welcome.
    Hello, and thanks!

You'd probably best kick off by telling us what programming experience you have had, be as specific as you can - it helps a lot when we know what level to pitch answers at.
    Well, I won't reveal too much lest you label me as "old"!!

Maybe this will help...

I have been working as an independent computer consultant for over a decade and was a Sr. Business Systems Analyst before I quit my contract last summer, and moved across the U.S. to California! (Ironic I dug my own grave, huh?!)

My background is wide and diverse. I have done everything from programming on Mainframes to being a Database Developer to a Client-Server Programmer to - in recent years - Data Modeling, Business Systems Analysis and Project Management. (Extensive Use-Case Modeling experience.)

While I have worked on enterprise portal and web-based solutions, I have not done any web-based programming or websites myself.

I spent all summer reading up on PHP and MySQL and lots on Object-oriented Programming (OOP) since I come from a Process-oriented Programming (POP) background.

Ultimate plans are to build a serious website with e-commerce functionality and using OOP.

The reality, however, is I have maybe 30 days left to get a professional looking website up so that people can register for my seminars. (Remember, I can't promote things or get people to register without a website. And it will take some time to get attendees signed up, so I really needed this website done this week?!)

Here is a high-level of my website workflow...

- Browse offerings
    - Select a Seminar
    - Create an Account
    - Register for Seminar (cash-at-the-door for now)
    - Receive Confirmation
    - Check in 48 hours Prior
    - Print Seminar Ticket
    - Come to Seminar, Pay, Get In, Learn!

Read the "Read before you post" sticky at the top of this forum too, short explicit questions tend to get answers (and a wider variety of them) a lot faster than people having to wade through reams of html - if someone needs more details they will ask you.
    Yes, I totally appreciate that. And that is why I decided to be bold and make this initial "Hi, I am Amy, and here is my dilemma" type post.

Assuming I haven't scared all of you off, know you know a little about me, my experience, and my website goals.

I the end, this project is very doable.

I just could use some help connecting the dot.

I know enough that I know what questions to ask...

I just could use some help with PHP (and other topics) to get the correct answers!! (Where you guys come in!)

Okay, I'll be back later - after paying bills - with lots of shorter, PHP-specific type questions.

If you guys can help save me from financial ruin that would be a real blessing!

Thanks,

Amy