SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

email attachments

Hello, I can't get email attachments to work correctly. I have tried every combination that I can think of. Instead of sending it as an attachment it sends it as gobbledeygook within the text of the email. Although the email shows that it has an attachment before it is opened.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a function:

function send_comms_att (
    $p_comm_type,
    $p_from,
    $p_to,
    $p_subject,
    $p_text,
    $p_attach_file )
    {

// read the attachment file contents into a string,
    // encode it with MIME base64,
    // and split it into smaller chunks

$attachment = chunk_split( base64_encode( file_get_contents( $p_attach_file ) ) );

// create a boundary string. It must be unique
    // so we use the MD5 algorithm to generate a random hash

$random_hash = md5( date( 'r', time() ) );

// define the headers we want passed.

$headers1 = "From:" . $p_from . "\r\n";

$headers2 = "MIME-Version: 1.0\r\n";

$headers3 = "Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary=\"PHP-mixed-" . $random_hash . "\r\n";

$headers4 = "Content-Disposition: attachment;" . $attachment . "\r\n";

$headers5 = "filename=\"" . $attachment . "\"";

$headers = $headers1 . $headers2 . $headers3 . $headers4 . $headers5;

// send the email

$mail_sent = @mail( $p_to, $p_subject, $p_text, $headers );

if ( !$mail_sent ) {

$comm_status = 1;

} else {

$comm_status = 0;

}

return $comm_status;

}

I have some code to test the function:

<?php
    $pdf_file = 'pdf_file.pdf';

require 'fpdf.php';

$pdf=new FPDF();
    $pdf->AddPage();
    $pdf->SetFont('Arial','B',16);
    $pdf->Cell(40,10,'Hello. I am a PDF!');
    $pdf->Output($pdf_file);

$mail = send_comms_att (
    'E',
    'admin@Dark-Mantra.co.uk',
    'admin@Dark-Mantra.co.uk',
    'Test',
    'Hello',
    $pdf_file );

echo '<p>Status ' . $mail . '</p>';

?>

Here is the gibberish email thus sent:

IDAgUgovQ29udGVudHMgNCAwIFI+PgplbmRvYmoKNCAwIG9iago8PC9GaWx0ZXIgL0ZsYXRlRGVj
    b2RlIC9MZW5ndGggNzg+PgpzdHJlYW0KeJwzUvDiMtAzNVco53IKUdB3M1QwNNMzMFAISVNwDQEJ
    GRvqGVoqmFuagBSFpChoeKTm5OTrKXgqJOYqJCoEuLgpaiqEZIFUAwB0DhEvCmVuZHN0cmVhbQpl
    bmRvYmoKMSAwIG9iago8PC9UeXBlIC9QYWdlcwovS2lkcyBbMyAwIFIgXQovQ291bnQgMQovTWVk
    aWFCb3ggWzAgMCA1OTUuMjggODQxLjg5XQo+PgplbmRvYmoKNSAwIG9iago8PC9UeXBlIC9Gb250
    Ci9CYXNlRm9udCAvSGVsdmV0aWNhLUJvbGQKL1N1YnR5cGUgL1R5cGUxCi9FbmNvZGluZyAvV2lu
    QW5zaUVuY29kaW5nCj4+CmVuZG9iagoyIDAgb2JqCjw8Ci9Qcm9jU2V0IFsvUERGIC9UZXh0IC9J
    bWFnZUIgL0ltYWdlQyAvSW1hZ2VJXQovRm9udCA8PAovRjEgNSAwIFIKPj4KL1hPYmplY3QgPDwK
    Pj4KPj4KZW5kb2JqCjYgMCBvYmoKPDwKL1Byb2R1Y2VyIChGUERGIDEuNikKL0NyZWF0aW9uRGF0
    ZSAoRDoyMDA5MDkyMjAwNTU0NSkKPj4KZW5kb2JqCjcgMCBvYmoKPDwKL1R5cGUgL0NhdGFsb2cK
    L1BhZ2VzIDEgMCBSCi9PcGVuQWN0aW9uIFszIDAgUiAvRml0SCBudWxsXQovUGFnZUxheW91dCAv
    T25lQ29sdW1uCj4+CmVuZG9iagp4cmVmCjAgOAowMDAwMDAwMDAwIDY1NTM1IGYgCjAwMDAwMDAy
    MzQgMDAwMDAgbiAKMDAwMDAwMDQyMiAwMDAwMCBuIAowMDAwMDAwMDA5IDAwMDAwIG4gCjAwMDAw
    MDAwODcgMDAwMDAgbiAKMDAwMDAwMDMyMSAwMDAwMCBuIAowMDAwMDAwNTI2IDAwMDAwIG4gCjAw
    MDAwMDA2MDEgMDAwMDAgbiAKdHJhaWxlcgo8PAovU2l6ZSA4Ci9Sb290IDcgMCBSCi9JbmZvIDYg
    MCBSCj4+CnN0YXJ0eHJlZgo3MDQKJSVFT0YK

filename="JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iago8PC9UeXBlIC9QYWdlCi9QYXJlbnQgMSAwIFIKL1Jlc291cmNlcyAy
    IDAgUgovQ29udGVudHMgNCAwIFI+PgplbmRvYmoKNCAwIG9iago8PC9GaWx0ZXIgL0ZsYXRlRGVj
    b2RlIC9MZW5ndGggNzg+PgpzdHJlYW0KeJwzUvDiMtAzNVco53IKUdB3M1QwNNMzMFAISVNwDQEJ
    GRvqGVoqmFuagBSFpChoeKTm5OTrKXgqJOYqJCoEuLgpaiqEZIFUAwB0DhEvCmVuZHN0cmVhbQpl
    bmRvYmoKMSAwIG9iago8PC9UeXBlIC9QYWdlcwovS2lkcyBbMyAwIFIgXQovQ291bnQgMQovTWVk
    aWFCb3ggWzAgMCA1OTUuMjggODQxLjg5XQo+PgplbmRvYmoKNSAwIG9iago8PC9UeXBlIC9Gb250
    Ci9CYXNlRm9udCAvSGVsdmV0aWNhLUJvbGQKL1N1YnR5cGUgL1R5cGUxCi9FbmNvZGluZyAvV2lu
    QW5zaUVuY29kaW5nCj4+CmVuZG9iagoyIDAgb2JqCjw8Ci9Qcm9jU2V0IFsvUERGIC9UZXh0IC9J
    bWFnZUIgL0ltYWdlQyAvSW1hZ2VJXQovRm9udCA8PAovRjEgNSAwIFIKPj4KL1hPYmplY3QgPDwK
    Pj4KPj4KZW5kb2JqCjYgMCBvYmoKPDwKL1Byb2R1Y2VyIChGUERGIDEuNikKL0NyZWF0aW9uRGF0
    ZSAoRDoyMDA5MDkyMjAwNTU0NSkKPj4KZW5kb2JqCjcgMCBvYmoKPDwKL1R5cGUgL0NhdGFsb2cK
    L1BhZ2VzIDEgMCBSCi9PcGVuQWN0aW9uIFszIDAgUiAvRml0SCBudWxsXQovUGFnZUxheW91dCAv
    T25lQ29sdW1uCj4+CmVuZG9iagp4cmVmCjAgOAowMDAwMDAwMDAwIDY1NTM1IGYgCjAwMDAwMDAy
    MzQgMDAwMDAgbiAKMDAwMDAwMDQyMiAwMDAwMCBuIAowMDAwMDAwMDA5IDAwMDAwIG4gCjAwMDAw
    MDAwODcgMDAwMDAgbiAKMDAwMDAwMDMyMSAwMDAwMCBuIAowMDAwMDAwNTI2IDAwMDAwIG4gCjAw
    MDAwMDA2MDEgMDAwMDAgbiAKdHJhaWxlcgo8PAovU2l6ZSA4Ci9Sb290IDcgMCBSCi9JbmZvIDYg
    MCBSCj4+CnN0YXJ0eHJlZgo3MDQKJSVFT0YK
    "

Hello

Thanks,

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should use some sort of Mail class, like the Mail_Mime from pear. Coding this by hand is prone to errors because email servers are very sensitive the incorrectly set line breaks.

Packages like Mail_Mime provides interface to adding attachments, so the class will do all the work for you.

See how easy it would be to write the code if you were using Mail_Mime:
    http://pear.php.net/manual/en/packag...me.example.php
    My project: Open source Q&A
    (similar to StackOverflow)