SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's a good PHP CMS?

I've been considering opening a review/news site, and it would need the ability to list screenshots and videos, as well as SEO optimized articles (including tags). I was considering using Vbulletin with vbSEO, Dynamics, etc, but that would be more of a portal I would think instead of a true site.

Is there any tried and tested PHP CMS systems out there that would suit my purposes? Any help is appreciated. I'm a big fan of no branding, if possible. This can be free, or relatively cheap (around $200 and under).

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal are fairly active opensource projects. You can also test many other opensource content management systems on opensourcecms.com
    Creativity knows no other restraint than the
    confines of a small mind.
    - Me
    Geekly Humor
    Oh baby! Check out the design patterns on that framework!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your idea is to take a forum, and bend it to your will, then take a look at Vanilla - you start of with bare bones and add those element you deem necessary.

I found it all very easy to learn and hack, but have a read of the comments about it on opensourcecms all the same.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Drupal CMS - it allows you to build search engine friendly internal URLs, it is very good for SEO & users.

Have you ever heard about PHP Frameworks? I have used Codeigniter PHP Framework to build small sites. One of advantages of this framework is possibility to make really large forms.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imaginethis View Post
    Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal are fairly active opensource projects. You can also test many other opensource content management systems on opensourcecms.com
    I'll check out that site. I like drupal, but at the same time I dislike it. Basically, I'm looking for something that can give me something similar to mmorpg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cups View Post
    If your idea is to take a forum, and bend it to your will, then take a look at Vanilla - you start of with bare bones and add those element you deem necessary.

I found it all very easy to learn and hack, but have a read of the comments about it on opensourcecms all the same.
    I've been using vbulletin, vbseo, and vbadvanced with some of it's mods on other projects, but I'd rather it not relying on a forum engine. I've heard that dynamic pages rank worse than static pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor7865 View Post
    I'm using Drupal CMS - it allows you to build search engine friendly internal URLs, it is very good for SEO & users.

Have you ever heard about PHP Frameworks? I have used Codeigniter PHP Framework to build small sites. One of advantages of this framework is possibility to make really large forms.
    Hmmm.. I guess I could give Drupal a shot again, but the last time I tried it I had large issues trying to skin the thing. Perhaps I'm just used to Wordpress/Vbulletin skinning or something. Basically, I'm trying for the functionality of mmorpg.com.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also in some moths Drupal 7.0 will be released, they promised lots of improvements.
    Of course, if your site has only some pages and blog you'd better use something lighter, e.g. Wordpress

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor7865 View Post
    Also in some moths Drupal 7.0 will be released, they promised lots of improvements.
    Of course, if your site has only some pages and blog you'd better use something lighter, e.g. Wordpress
    I'm doing a game review site, so I would need a bit of flexibility.

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Curse View Post
    I've heard that dynamic pages rank worse than static pages.
    If you want to know for sure, why don't you ask in the SEO forum. Lots of experts there

And don't CMS's create dynamic pages too?