SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you recommend a book

I got Ian Lloyd's book, "Build Your Own Web Site The Right Way". I followed the book and built the web site in the book. Then I redid a web site I made with Expression Web.

After this small amount of experience, I think I have a beginning understanding of html and css. Can you recommend another book that would be a good follow-up to Lloyd's book?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't read it myself but a friend's recommendation is Deitel's "Internet and World Wide Web: How to Program". You could try it, Deitel's books are usually of good quality.
    blogging @ burnmind.com

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, aside from a tad bit of theory on the HTML side and just some experience, there isn't much you need to learn about HTML outside of Ian Lloyd's book as it covers pretty much everything.

On the other hand there is much more to CSS than there is in his book, as he so rightly says. On page 412 he gives you some resources on "Advancing Your CSS Knowledge" so maybe read that and see what is helpful from then on out?

If you want a follow-up to his book then you should begin to advance your basic CSS knowledge. You can do this by reading through and learning the concepts, methods, tips and tricks that are in the two following SitePoint books:

- The Art & Science of CSS
    - The CSS Anthology: 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks, 3rd Edition

You'll spend plenty of time fully understanding CSS and making your Web pages look almost exactly the same in as many Web browsers as possible. After that, you should learn a new language, JavaScript.

Have fun and welcome to the wonderful world of HTML & CSS!

Andrew Cooper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just realised that the book i mentioned before covers almost everything to get an idea about programming for the web, but it doesn't include CSS.
    blogging @ burnmind.com

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well if you want some good books to follow on I would recommend the following, All of those mentioned below follow the premise as solid intermediate titles, you should check them in your local bookstore to see if they suit your reading needs, I think Google Books and Amazon have previews of most of them.
    • Web Standards Solutions
    • Designing with Web Standards
    • Eric Meyer on CSS
    • More Eric Meyer on CSS
    • Bulletproof Web Design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to all those above, another good one is ..HTML, XHTML & CSSBible, by Steven M. Schafer. About £15 on amazon.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a good set of books recommended here
    http://www.paulher.com/2009/09/19/we...tive-designer/
    and he does seem keen on sitepoint books...

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eedeem View Post
    In addition to all those above, another good one is ..HTML, XHTML & CSSBible, by Steven M. Schafer. About £15 on amazon.
    That is one of the reference books I use (I personally like the "Bible" series), though I would say it's not really for beginners, it's one of those things you keep on the shelf for cross referencing on the web design process. It's a bit too bulky and dry to be something you will want to read through from cover to cover - though it is an excellent reference book all the same. Personally I think your better off going with one of the "dedicated" titles for an explicit subject.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a long period of failing to fully grasp CSS, the book that helped me most was "Pro CSS Techniques"by Apress publishing available on Amazon

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I followed Build Your Own Website the Right Way with Designing Without Tables Using CSS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to add on to your HTML/CSS experience, try making a WordPress blog.

I would recommend most of the SP books, but take a look at the Visual Quick Start books as well.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncmason View Post
    If you want to add on to your HTML/CSS experience, try making a WordPress blog.

I would recommend most of the SP books, but take a look at the Visual Quick Start books as well.
    I agree with the SP recommendations, not so much with the Wordpress blog. Too much PHP to wrestle with.