SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broadband speed slow bcos of PCI adapter?

I have broadband speed of around 5MB (down) when using my laptop, but when I connect the Ethernet cable to my desktop, the speed test shows less than 2MB. I just inserted a new PCI "D-Link"
    10/ 100 mbps adapter card in my PC, replacing an old dial up card.

Could the problem be the 10/100 mbps card? Should I have installed a more powerful one, like 10/100/1000 mbps? Or could it be that my PC tower is around 8 years old? Thanks.

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dubman View Post
    I have broadband speed of around 5MB (down) when using my laptop, but when I connect the Ethernet cable to my desktop, the speed test shows less than 2MB. I just inserted a new PCI "D-Link"
    10/ 100 mbps adapter card in my PC, replacing an old dial up card.

Could the problem be the 10/100 mbps card? Should I have installed a more powerful one, like 10/100/1000 mbps? Or could it be that my PC tower is around 8 years old? Thanks.
    Your 10/100 network card is fast enough to handle 5MB broadband, and D-Link is a pretty decent brand, so think that is not the problem.

I'm affraid your pc is too old...
    What are the specs of your pc?
    Rémon - Hosting Advisor

Minimal Bookmarks Tree
    My Google Chrome extension: browsing bookmarks made easy

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 10mbps of the card you installed is double that of your 5mbps internet speed, the 100bps of the card you installed is 20 times that of your 5mbps internet speed. Had you got a card that supports 1000 mbps that would be 200 times as fast as your 5mbps internet speed.

There is nothing in an 8 year old computer that would create a bottleneck to reduce the speed from 5mbps down to 2 as everything in a computer of that age is capable of running at much faster speeds than that. The limiting factor in your computer would be the 100mbps of the new card. If you are using a wireless connection for your laptop then it would have the slower internet connection speed of the two as far as hardware is concerned.

Were you using the laptop to connect at the same time? That would result in the 5mbps being shared between the computers.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the eternet cable from the PC to the laptop. Now, repeating the test, I get a download of just above 3mb on the PC (with the laptop turned off) and over 5mb on the laptop (my pC doesnt have wifi adaptor).

I also tried changing the pci slot for the new d-link adaptor - same speed.
    My PC processor is less than 1 Gz (.860 I think). Thanks I really apprecaite the help.