SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast meetmohit88's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some suggestions for website project

I have no experience in web designing but i want to break that record. I was thinking of designing an ecommerce website for my college project but then job portal came in my mind and then social networking but i don't know whether i will be able to design such websites with zero experience. So give few suggestions and i wanna know that whether i should design it with php or asp.net.

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    meetmohit88, if you mean build a social network or ecommerce solution from scratch without using any existing systems... the simple answer is no you probably will not be able to do it without any experience. Coding the kind of applications you are thinking of requires a great deal of skill and takes experts who builds those kind of products months or even years to perfect. My advice to you is not to run before you can walk, if you want a good starting point... learn HTML and CSS, then learn JavaScript and then you can move onto a serverside language. Each increases with the order of complexity and without knowing HTML and CSS it's pointless trying to build a website, PHP and ASP are not replacements for them. Trying to dive into something like PHP or ASP without HTML or CSS knowledge is basically suicide, web design is something which you need to learn gradually, you can't suddenly pick it up in a wirlwind fashon and become a seasoned codemonkey overnight.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meetmohit88 View Post
    I have no experience in web designing but i want to break that record. I was thinking of designing an ecommerce website for my college project but then job portal came in my mind and then social networking but i don't know whether i will be able to design such websites with zero experience. So give few suggestions and i wanna know that whether i should design it with php or asp.net.
    At first try out simple HTML and site designing softwares like DreamWeaver and then go for PHP or asp.net. You can find all necessary info at W3schools.net. Happy designing. But it is always better to outsource the work unless you are bent on learning web designing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At first you can also try to use any Content Management System. Most of them has great documentation on-line. You will be able to create your project fast. Of course for making more difficult changes you will need the knowledge of what Alex and mithu143 mentioned before.
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    meetmohit88, if you mean build a social network or ecommerce solution from scratch without using any existing systems... the simple answer is no you probably will not be able to do it without any experience. Coding the kind of applications you are thinking of requires a great deal of skill and takes experts who builds those kind of products months or even years to perfect. My advice to you is not to run before you can walk, if you want a good starting point... learn HTML and CSS, then learn JavaScript and then you can move onto a serverside language. Each increases with the order of complexity and without knowing HTML and CSS it's pointless trying to build a website, PHP and ASP are not replacements for them. Trying to dive into something like PHP or ASP without HTML or CSS knowledge is basically suicide, web design is something which you need to learn gradually, you can't suddenly pick it up in a wirlwind fashon and become a seasoned codemonkey overnight.
    Thank you very much for the advice and making me aware of what i can't do right now. But i have to design a website for my college project so give me some ideas on the kind of website which i can build easily as a newbie. it is not essential that i have to build website. I have a choice of developing a console application. I have 6 month time for completing my project.

SitePoint Guru bronze trophy AndrewCooper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the advice and making me aware of what i can't do right now. But i have to design a website for my college project so give me some ideas on the kind of website which i can build easily as a newbie. it is not essential that i have to build website. I have a choice of developing a console application. I have 6 month time for completing my project.
    I also agree with what AlexDawson has said above. It's important you start right from the beginning and gradually gain the experience in a more natural way from experimenting with code.

It sounds like you're on the BTEC National course in the UK, am I right? If so, you should have been given the Unit Specification which will make everything much clearer for you on what you're required to do. You can simply create a 5-10 page Website on whatever you feel like, such as the history of the World Wide Web or on the history of Microsoft Corporation. You can build a Website like this with HTML and CSS.

If you aren't on that particular course and it is for something else and the course you are on is a beginner / introductory course, I wouldn't think they would expect you to create a fully fledged e-Commerce, Content Management System or Social Networking Website with the knowledge that you currently have.

Has your tutor not given you a list of "sample" type of Websites you could create?

Kind regards,

Andrew Cooper

SitePoint Enthusiast imagineinternet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with AndrewCooper. It's best to start at the beginning and get the basics down before trying any of the fancy stuff. You will learn in layers, spending much less time trying to figure things out later. There are so many free resources out there, but Sitepoint articles and W3Schools are two of the best resources to learn.

Good luck...sounds like you are going to have fun!
    Uptime + Quality + Keyword + Popularity Monitoring
    EZ Website Monitoring

Go Web Solutions - LOVE your website!

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    meetmohit88, well there's plenty of things you could build, you could create a portfolio website (which you could keep up-to-date with all the skills you attain as you learn at college - sort of an online resume / CV) for example. Portfolio websites are great because they let you start with basic HTML and CSS, add in JavaScript as and when you learn it and then allow you to round off with server-side coding if you feel it is required, plus it may be useful when you graduate as you could have all the sample stuff you have done to show employers what you can do! Most websites can be made manually. I would think simple but be imaginative with what you could add in (perhaps draw some sketches and browse around the web for some inspiration from existing websites... it let's you think "perhaps I could do something similar"), if you get stuck you can always start a thread and we can advise you on the best course of action if you're stuck for how to implement something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    meetmohit88, well there's plenty of things you could build, you could create a portfolio website (which you could keep up-to-date with all the skills you attain as you learn at college - sort of an online resume / CV) for example. Portfolio websites are great because they let you start with basic HTML and CSS, add in JavaScript as and when you learn it and then allow you to round off with server-side coding if you feel it is required, plus it may be useful when you graduate as you could have all the sample stuff you have done to show employers what you can do! Most websites can be made manually. I would think simple but be imaginative with what you could add in (perhaps draw some sketches before you start and browse around the web for some inspiration from existing websites... it let's you think "ohh I like that, perhaps I could do something similar"), if you get stuck you can always post in here and we can advise you on the best course of action if you find yourself stuck for how to implement a certain thing.
    This.

Really with your experience coding a website from scratch would be very very tricky. Get a great grounding on HTML & CSS (seriously, it shouldn't take that long), and more importantly write websites the correct way, get into good practices for code structure, and it'll then come easy.

Then when you are confident and you've put together a portfolio site, why not see if you can install Wordpress on your system, basic PHP & MySQL, and create a blog? Then why not see if you can make a template using Wordpress (which is a basic introduction into PHP), then go on from there.

This is only the route I took, you may find it confident going another way (say jQuery & Javascript), but really start with fundamental HTML & CSS, and most importantly good practices (which - when I was in uni & they said "use frames", may not be what your course teaches!)
    I'm Rhys Wynne & I blog at Winwar Media
    WP Email Capture: Free Email/Ebook Marketing Wordpress Plugin
    UK Based SEO? Tweet Your Location to #ukseohere!
    | My Brand New Brand | Twitter |

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about an e-education website? i think it will be much easier than e commerce website .

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your ultimate goal? Why don't we start with that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick with CMS to start out and work within their systems. Learn a little html and away you go...

Wordpress for blogs
    Magento for ecommerce
    Joomla for community
    Modx for everything else...
    UNLIMITED Domains - UNLIMITED Disk Space - UNLIMITED Bandwidth
    *Black Friday - Website Hosting Deal of The Year - 50% OFF!