SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color Printer Copy Cost

I am needing to purchase a color duplex printer but looking for copy cost is difficult.

Anyone know which printer or where to look for cost of ownership when it comes to copy cost.

Seems the lower the printer price the higher the cost per copy?

Looking for medium duty office printer, networked able.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotjourney View Post
    Seems the lower the printer price the higher the cost per copy?
    That is correct. With printers at the cheap end of the market you save money by throwing the printer away and buying a new one as soon as any of the consumables run out - often with the cheap printers the entire printer is built into the ink/toner cartridge and the rest is just an empty case to hold the paper. Since you can usually buy those printers on special (since the sellers hope to make money from the consumables you buy afterwards) you can often buy the cartridge with the case (as a whole printer) for a fraction of the cost of the cartridge without the case.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consumer level printers come with "starter cartridges" with less ink specifically so that you won't do that. If they came with a full cartridge then yes, economics would say buy a new printer instead of buying a new cartridge.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laser Printers....it where its at.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Consumer level printers come with "starter cartridges" with less ink specifically so that you won't do that. If they came with a full cartridge then yes, economics would say buy a new printer instead of buying a new cartridge.
    If the cartridge holds half as much ink and the printer sells for $50 and replacement cartridges are $150 (as is often the case for printers that cheap) then what I said about replacing the whole printer is true.

Of course once you get to slightly more expensive printers (say a $100 printer that takes cartridges that cost $175 - where the capacity is say 1.5 times that of cartridges for the first printer) then your statement becomes correct.

It still works out cheaper to buy an $800 printer that takes cartridges that cost $200 though since the $200 cartridge usually has two or even three times the capacity of the $175 one.

Of course you can also get $500 printers that take $300 cartridges with the same capacity as the $200 ones that the $800 printer takes - so if you never expect to get to need to buy a third cartridge that might work out cheaper).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laser printer of HP compaq company would be better for you,i would prefer you laser printer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've given up on buying printers. I have a little photo inkjet for those, and anything else I get printed at a local copyshop.
    "I'm Commander Shepard, and this is
    my favourite post on the internet."

We'll miss you, Dan Schulz.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say shop around until you find a few models you think would work for you, feature and budget wise, then get online and if you visit the manufacturer website you can usually find the cost per page info you want.

It is crazy though - a few years back I was researching color lasers and ended up with an Okidata - and it was almost cheaper to buy a new machine than replace the toner cartridges and imaging belt when they wore out.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!