SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was wondering if we could get a discussion going about the average CPM rates people get with the various banner networks. For instance I have heard 1.5 CPM with Burst and 10 CPM with burst. So please post the type of site you own and the banner network and CPM rate you get.

Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average CPM rates differ in the same advertising agency depending on your sites traffic, Just to let you know.

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know. But I've found that the rates some agencies advertise are not the rates people actually get, and alot of agencies dont give a rate card at all.

So thats why I think it'd be nice if we could get some info from people on various agencies to know firsthand what kind of CPMs people are getting.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I'm not sure, but you may find people reluctant to discuss this, because their contracts forbid them detailing the kind of cpms they get through their advertising network, even averages.

Mark Brownlow

Editor, ibizInterviews, ibizNewsletters & ibizTips
    http://www.ibizhome.com/1710.htm

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without detailing the CPM's I get from Burst...

There is a difference between the CPM's listed on rate cards and what you will see as a webmaster. For example, an ad network could be charging $5 CPM for ads. You might received 1/2 of that, so that gets you to $2.50. But they won't serve all your ads at that rate -- since no ad network sells out their entire inventory, you'll see a percentage of paying ads and a percentage of default ads. You don't get paid for the default ads -- they can either be public service ads, or you can redirect them to another ad company, or you can upload a single banner for them to serve.

The CPM and default rate combine to give you an "effective CPM rate", which is defined as the total money you make from the site divided by the total number of impressions you served. The total money you make is variable because it is based on many things -- for example, networks will serve you more CPM ads if people are clicking on them vs. sites where no one is clicking on them. You will make more money if people click your CPC campaigns.

You will make more money if you have more unique visitors than the next site -- you are still paid for every ad you show, but they just won't show too many ads to the repeat visitors, effectively penalizing your site if you don't get enough unique visitors.

When all is said and done, your effective rate can be anywhere from $0.10 CPM to $2 CPM, maybe more. But it all depends on how your site "performs", and most networks won't tell you what type of performance gets paid more because they don't want people to cheat.

Ralph

------------------
    http://www.hockeydb.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive my ignorance, but what does CPM mean? It's all over the forum, but I can only get as far as Cent Per ...

Could someone fill me in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CPM stands for "Cost per thousand" (think Roman Numerals!) which is usually extended to mean "Cost per thousand impressions"

In other words, if a site has a CPM of $10 then that means that it will cost you $10 to advertise on that site so that they show your banner 1,000 times.

Edwin

------------------
    Edwin Hayward - VP Technology, Internet Business Forum, Inc.
    FREE info, tips, insights & advice to help you work the web
    http://www.ibizhome.com/1905.htm

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AdFlight.com - 1.5% CTR, $1.50 CPM, $0.20 CPC/$0.10 CPC on 88x31

I do not recommend this ad network. Tried them out for two days, was extremely unhappy with the results (clicks not counting towards CPC, buttons not counting towards CPM, horrible payouts).

------------------
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@webdevportal.com)
    http://www.webdevportal.com -
    The customizable portal for webmasters!