User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rss News Feeds in Html

Hi All,

Am very new to rss feeds, currently am developing a new site with static html pages. its related with some business site. I want to place the "Most Read News Today:" from http://www.financemarkets.co.uk/ in my site.

i got that .xml file, but i dont how to implement that in my stactic html file.

If anybody previously hve experience with RSS help me pls....

i just want incorporate the xml feed in my static html page.

guide me pls.... or give some good tutorials to start with.

Thanks & Regards,

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A static HTML page is by definition "static". That is, it's content isn't created on the server, but is "hard coded". So I guess you could edit the file and reupload it every time the feed changes. You may not have a problem with that, but I think it would get old very quickly.

You could do it "client side" with javascript. That way you wouldn't need to edit and reupload the file all the time. It wouldn't work for bots or those without javascript, but if you are stuck with static pages it may be the better option.

Except for the "Today" aspect, you could hard code the feed content in when you get to it and use javascript to replace it with the fresh feed content. That way everyone would at least see something.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It would be easy to have the RSS feed from the site you mention appear on your own site too. But that would be the whole RSS feed, rather than just the Most Read items (unless there is a separate feed for that, which I don't see).

Would that suffice?

If there is a separate xml file for the most read items, you might be able to place it in an iframe... but I'm not sure.

Of course, you must make sure that you have permission to do this. Do you?

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good point. I forgot about iframes (or an object tag). XML can be styled by CSS too, so once you get it into the page you should be able to get it to "blend in" with the content and design of the page. Not all users support iframes, but the "extra feature" would simply be missing and not cripple the page for them.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thanks for all your replies,

I got a real easy solution, i managed to show particular category and managed to apply my styles using this link

http://www.feedsweep.com/products/fs/create_adv.aspx

Every one can use this, its really an usefull link.

Once again thanks for all your priceless replies.