SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist spoondevil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry WinXP and BIOS Changes

I have WinXP Professional installed, Build 2600. I recently had an error - the first one, believe it or not, and it was when I tried to play an MP3 through WinAmp after having had my PC on for a few days. An error box appeared saying that the .dll file was already in use. I thought I had might as well SD/RS, so I did, and when my PC booted back up the "Blue Screen" appeared and flashed of so quick I had to get the camcorder out to video and pause it, so I could see what it said. It went roughly
    Code:
    Cannot find ........./CONFIG/
    File either corrupt, missing or not writeable.
    I thought this was strange, so I tried various things on it and repaired the install, but all to no avail. I even reformatted my HD and tried installing Win98 then WinME but nothing worked.

I eventually found out that my BIOS had changed and the Floppy Drive and Hard Drive entries had changed to be "Read Only" instead of Read-Write.

None of my friends, colleagues, or anyone can figure out how my BIOS could change without me accessing it, which I didn't.

Is there anyway whatsoever WinXP could have done this? I can't see how it would happen.

Many Thanks
    Ian Gunter

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what kind of motherboard do you have? BIOS?

some motherboards have BIOS's that have an auto-update feature or something similar to windows update. if it's an auto update deally, then i'm willing to bet that might've happened. but even so, it would be strange that it wouldn't ask for permission first.
    . . . chris

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually... sounds like a virus.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------